Definition of "it"

< Previous | Next >

Lendoris

Chinese
In The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary 6th,

I came across one of the definitions of "it",

"In emphatic pred. use: the actual thing required or expected; the acme. M19."

and its example goes,

H. M. Smith. I have some new plus-fours which are ‘it.

I still don't get the picture how "it" functions in this sentence,

What is "it"? doese it mean "plus-fours"?

• owlman5

English-US
    This is a special use of it that means something that is very desirable, fashionable, popular, etc.: These shoes are really it.

Our dictionary informs me that plus fours were a type of baggy knickers that were popular clothing in an earlier era, especially among golfers. I have a vague recollection of seeing them before, but that word faded from popular use long ago.

Random trips through a dictionary will introduce you to many words and phrases that aren't particularly relevant in today's English, Lendoris. You have managed to find a couple of them. I'm not surprised that you found them puzzling.

Lendoris

Chinese
    This is a special use of it that means something that is very desirable, fashionable, popular, etc.: These shoes are really it.

Our dictionary informs me that plus fours were a type of baggy knickers that were popular clothing in an earlier era, especially among golfers. I have a vague recollection of seeing them before, but that word faded from popular use long ago.

Random trips through a dictionary will introduce you to many words and phrases that aren't particularly relevant in today's English, Lendoris. You have managed to find a couple of them. I'm not surprised that you found them puzzling.
    Hi Owlman5, Thank you for your reply and now I understand.

Yes, I have a special proclivity for going through English dictionaries randomly, which benefits me a lot in exploring a new world that our teachers won't teach in schools, but some times, I do feel myself so reliable on dictionaries that when I come cross something, especially about grammar, that native speakers are frequently using or speaking but doesn't show up in dictionaries, I will be tortured.

Thank you again.

< Previous | Next >