deform

KYC

Mandarin
Hello, there:
I watched local news. I try to express it in English. It says somone was electrocuted, luckly, he survived for the accident. However, the accident deformed his body.
He had a handsome face and a good structure. Now it's hard to recognise his face.

I am wondering if my usage of "deform" is right.
May I have your confirmation?
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    Perhaps disfigured for face. Deformed is possible, I suppose, but I would need to see the face before I used it... on second thought, I don't want to. Use disfigured for face -- especially if you're contrasting it with "handsome" -- and save deformed for body.

Copyright

American English
    Oh, speedreading has gotten me in trouble. I see you are using deformed for body, so I think it's all right. I say "think" because I usually think of deformed as an adjective -- his body was deformed; he had a deformed body; his deformed body prevented rapid movement.

It's somewhat less natural for me to use deform as a verb regarding body... but that's just me. With any luck, someone else will offer an opinion, but in general I think you're fine with that.

On another note, we wouldn't normally say "he had a good structure."

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    Hi! How about these substitutes for " ... structure"? Do they work in this sentence, in this context?

"He had a good physique."

"He had a good posture."

Jo1234

Australian English
    I agree with Copyright that it looks fine apart from 'a good structure' in reference to someone's body.
    'a good physique' would work well, but not 'posture' - that's really just the way someone stands. Someone's posture can change their body shape and physique, but they aren't the same thing.

KYC

Mandarin
    Thanks a lot!
    I learn more from all of your replies.
    Oh, speedreading has gotten me in trouble. I see you are using deformed for body, so I think it's all right. I say "think" because I usually think of deformed as an adjective -- his body was deformed; he had a deformed body; his deformed body prevented rapid movement.
    So how about "He was deformed in the accident."?
    or "His body was deformed in the accident."
    I am wondering if the usage is more common since you mentioned that it's less natural to use it as a verb.

Copyright

American English
    For some reason (maybe because it's Thursday :)) those sentences don't sound quite right to me (but maybe they will to others). I might say: The accident left him deformed.

< Previous | Next >