del turno de oficio

< Previous | Next >

aletheia_

Spain, Spanish/Galician
Hi everyone!

Can anyone help me with this sentence?

"Usted tiene derecho a ser asistido de abogado y puede solicitar a este Juzgado que se le designe del turno de oficio."

I can't find a good translation in English for the last four words del turno de oficio.

The context is a notice of summons to a defendant

Thanks in advance!

• Dani California

Spain, Spanish
    Una opción:
    You have the right to an attorney and may request legal aid (directly) from this court or you are entitled to be assisted by an attorney and to request legal aid from this court.
    Turno de oficio: legal aid

Snoop Puss

Brit now living in Spain
    Dani,
    Your reply is very clear, for which many thanks. I have just read the wikipedia entry for turno de oficio and cannot make up my mind if it means legal aid or possibly 'duty solicitor'.
    Do you (or anyone else reading this) have any views?
    Thanks for your help.
    Snoop

piraña utria

Spanish - Colombian with Caribbean nuanc
    Dani,
    Your reply is very clear, for which many thanks. I have just read the wikipedia entry for turno de oficio and cannot make up my mind if it means legal aid or possibly 'duty solicitor'.
    Do you (or anyone else reading this) have any views?
    Thanks for your help.
    Snoop
    Hi, there.

After reading several Spanish documents, I think it refers to your second option, which is well-known in our systems as "abogado de oficio".

Regards,

Snoop Puss

Brit now living in Spain
    Thanks piraña utria. You may be a voracious fish but you have just saved my bacon!
    Snoop

ac552

Español - Chile
    It is the same of every person to be assisted by a lwyer designed by the government, in case he/she cannot afford it.
    Best,
    A.

Snoop Puss

Brit now living in Spain
    Hi ac552. My understanding is that in Britain, at least, a duty solicitor is a solicitor appointed by the court or police to help someone who does not have a lawyer but needs one. Legal aid is financial support to help someone pay the costs of a lawyer they have themselves selected from a list of those who operate in the legal-aid scheme.
    Snoop

< Previous | Next >