delay/postpone/adjourn/cancel

< Previous | Next >

sillydreamer

Vietnamese
Hi, I do this homework and wonder why the answer is 'DELAY':
The train was ______ by a heavy snowfall.
A.postponed B.cancelled C. adjourned D.delayed
Thank you for any help.

• pops91710

English, AE
    Whenever any train, bus, or airplane has not left on it's scheduled time, it is said to be delayed. It is expected to leave, but not on time. Cancel is different. It means it is not going at all. Postponed is okay, as far as I am concerned, but they just don't use that expression officially. Adjourned is not even applicable, and does not fit.

sillydreamer

Vietnamese
    Whenever any train, bus, or airplane has not left on it's scheduled time, it is said to be delayed. It is expected to leave, but not on time. Cancel is different. It means it is not going at all. Postponed is okay, as far as I am concerned, but they just don't use that expression officially. Adjourned is not even applicable, and does not fit.
    Can you make it clearer ? Why 'postponed' and ' adjourned' are incorrect ? I think they have the same meaning as delay. Is there any diffrence in the usage ?

Copyright

American English
    In my experience, we don't postpone or adjourn trains -- perhaps that's something you just need to memorize.

Brioche

Australia English
    Whenever any train, bus, or airplane has not left on its scheduled time, it is said to be delayed. It is expected to leave, but not on time. Cancel is different. It means it is not going at all. Postponed is okay, as far as I am concerned, but they just don't use that expression officially. Adjourned is not even applicable, and does not fit.
    it's = it is

Brioche

Australia English
    Can you make it clearer ? Why 'postponed' and ' adjourned' are incorrect ? I think they have the same meaning as delay. Is there any diffrence in the usage ?
    If you postpone something, you arrange for it to happen at a later date or time. So everyone knows in advance.
    You could say "Due to the heavy snow, the excursion to Winterville has been postponed until Groundhog Day".

Meetings can be adjourned. In other words, they are interrupted and set to occur at a new time. You cannot adjourn a physical object.
    "Because the weather forecast is for heavy snow, the councillors are worried that they will not be able to get home. They have adjourned their meeting until next Friday, and will leave the building by lunch time".

Brioche

Australia English
    No.

Some uses are interchangeable, but some are not.
    At the end of day's hearings, a court is adjourned. It is not postponed.

< Previous | Next >