delegare

< Previous | Next >

spero

english (USA)
Context:

The story of Mary and Joseph, the Holy Family. Before meeting Mary, Joseph is part of a Community that becomes dissolved and it becomes dangerous, with Herod as king, to participate in events regarding the coming of the Messiah. Then there is this paragraph that refers to Joseph's family ("lo straniero" refers to Herod, who is not Jewish, but rules their land):

In casa, il padre e forse gli altri fratelli gliel'avevano detto. Più disincantati, anch’essi non vorrebbero lo straniero ma delegano all’arrivo del Messia ogni intervento. E intanto fanno i loro affari. Ma la loro (supposta) ribellione si ferma a questo. A guadagnare quanto possono.

My attempt:
At home, his father and his brothers had probably warned him. They are more realistic than Joseph and even if they don’t want the king themselves, they DELEGANO all things until the coming of the Messiah. In the meantime they get on with their business. But their (supposed) rebellion is limited to this, to earning as much as they can.

The verb "delegare" really throws me off here and I can't seem to grasp the meaning of the last part of this sentence. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

• pattyfashiion

italian-italia
    Outsourcing-delegate to - commission to - devolve to

Io non userei postpone in questo caso perchè significa posporre, rinviare, rimandare...

Hope that helps...

spero

english (USA)
    Yes but none of these terms really make sense. How can they "delegate, devolve, postpone, etc." and then get on their own business... What are they delegating then???

elliee84

Italian
    I think "delegare" here is not used with its "real meaning", but with the meaning of "postporre, rimandare"... it's a very rare and "sofisticate" case, but it doesn't surprise me since the text is quite old.

From what I can understand reading the Italian sentence, they are postponing doing something ("ogni intervento") to after the Messiah 's arrival.

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    Delegare doesn't mean "postspone", although it logically fits in the sentence.
    In this context it means that even though they don't want Herod to be their king, they just decide to wait for the Messiah to solve their problem, that is they don't or can't deal with it and therefore trust the Messiah to help them.

< Previous | Next >