Delegate

< Previous | Next >

keung

Chinese
Hi All,
I came across following sentence " We have a fairly large-ish garden - which I delegate
everything to my wife - other than the lawn,... ".
When I check on-line dictionary with the word "delegate", most of the example show the pattern is delegate someone to do someting or to represent something.
But in above sentence, it is delegate something to someone, I wonder if both patterns are correct or it is just a exception of above sentence.
Furthermore, if "commit" fit in those pattern ? in other word, if commit can be work as delegate ? I'm not not sure that.

Thank in advance

• ewie

English English
    Hi Keung. The sentence you quote doesn't make much sense as it stands ~ you need to add an in in one of two places:
    "We have a fairly large-ish garden - in which I delegate everything to my wife - other than the lawn... ". [formal version]
    "We have a fairly large-ish garden - which I delegate everything to my wife in - other than the lawn... ". [more conversational version]

Titi Hilda

spanish
    In the United States when a husband uses the word delegate refering to his wife he is being sort of "cute". What he means is that she is to do the work. In this case except for the lawn.

< Previous | Next >