deliver a frontal blow

catsaq

U.S.A.
Hi, I'm trying to translate a fairy tale from english into french and the line "Prince André lifted his sword high as the last rays of light vanished into the night to deliver a frontal blow," is giving me a lot of trouble because I cannot seem to find a word for deliver, as in to deliver a punch or hit. This is my attempt at making sense of it:
"Le Prince André a soulevé son d'épée haute pendant que les derniers rayons de la lumière disparaissaient dans la nuit pour faire une attaque de front."
Does "faire" work in this case or is there a better word? Thanks!

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    "Le Prince André a soulevé haut son épée alors que les derniers rayons de la lumière disparaissaient dans la nuit pour faire une attaque de front."

Faire looks OK to me. See other small corrections. And perhaps you can rearrange the sentence. In both English and French, it sounds like the last rays of light are delivering the blow!
    Hopefully you will get more suggestions.

Harry Batt

USA English
    I fiddled around with the verb livrer and came up with

délivrer(libérer)vdeliver (carry out)

If I were composiing the essay, délivrer would be my verb

catsaq

U.S.A.
    I asked my teacher today (it was due for corrections today) and he came up with "asséner un coup à" do you think " Le Prince André a soulevé son épée au haut pendant que les derniers rayons de la lumière disparaissaient dans la nuit pour asséner un coup à son épaule," works well? SwissPete, the reason why I didn't change "pendant que" to "alors" is because I don't understand what it means; doesn't it mean then, or so? I mean to say, the prince did something while or whilst the sun set, basically. Merci beaucoup !

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Asséner un coup à son épaule is OK, but I don't detect a frontal blow in it..
    And I still don't like a soulevé son épée au haut.
    Try alors in the French-English dictionary, and scroll down to the compound forms. Alors and alors que have different meanings.
    I hope somebody will join this thread and give you more ideas.

catsaq

U.S.A.
    Okay, yes, I will change it to "a soulevé haut son épée," it sounds better to me too although I am far from french, and I'll go look up "alors." Merci ! :D

< Previous | Next >