deliver a property or hand over a property?

sophiasophie

Chinese
Hello, guys. If I have bought a home, and one day the home is ready and the develoer gives the key to me, allows me to live in, how to call that process?

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    If I have bought a home, and one day the home is ready and the developer gives the key to me, allows me to live in, how to call that process?
    The developer is indeed delivering the property, but in our country, when we are dealing with the sale of a home or other real property, this process is called a closing, and there are other things besides handing over the keys: a deed and/or other papers are signed and exchanged, checks are written, etc. In addition to the seller and buyer, their lawyers are usually present to see that everything is done properly and according to law, and a real-estate agent may also be involved.

Last edited:

sophiasophie

Chinese
    The developer is indeed delivering the property, but in our country, when we are dealing with a the sale of a home or other real property, this process is called a closing, and there are other things besides handing over the keys: a deed and/or other papers are signed and exchanged, checks are written, etc. In addition to the seller and buyer, their lawyers are usually present to see that everything is done properly and according to law, and a real-estate agent may also be involved.
    Hi, thanks. I get that closing means the final step of a home sale, but I need to a noun to match the word "property", so you think delivery of a home, or handover of a home, which one is right, or better?

sophiasophie

Chinese
    As I said at the beginning of my answer, deliver works.
    Hi, sorry I have to bother you again. I did some onlin search and find that handover is quite common, like the following sentence:
    Upon completion of construction works, a seller or contractor usually wishes to swiftly hand-over the completed property to its buyer and thereby trigger further payment obligations of the buyer.

So I wonder whether handover is also a correct choice

< Previous | Next >