Deliver a referendum

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Juan II, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Juan II Senior Member

Seville, Spain
    Spanish
    I supposed it means "convocar un referendum":

"A consultation paper published by Scotland secretary, Michael Moore, proposes a Section 30 order to give Holyrood the power to deliver a referendum."

Any ideas?

Thank you.

2. Friendly Bob Banned

Spanish
    Quizá "realizar" un referendum y que los datos que este arroje se tomen en cuenta.

3. Bolavà detectiu Senior Member

Barcelona, Catalonia
    Catalan / Spain Spanish
    A mi me suena que deliver a referendum significa celebrar un referendum.

4. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    Es más "entregar" que celebrar, pero los participantes tienen que celebrarlo antes de entregardlo, obviamente, pues ... sí, me gusta lo de "celebrar."

5. Juan II Senior Member

Seville, Spain
    Spanish
    Cuidado, pero celebrar no está tomado en el sentido de "rejoicing", sino en el sentido de llevar a cabo algo. Se utiliza sobre todo en términos legales: "celebrar un juicio". Y con independencia del resultado.

6. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    Claro que no. Es más "realizar," no "festejar."

Espero que no dije lo contrario.

7. David

David Banned

From the following quote from a British electoral publication, I deduce that "delivery" would best be translated as conducir, llevar a cabo, manejar, or perhaps supervisar. The decision to hold a referendum might be convocar or someter a referendum, but I believe the "delivery" is the actual operation of the comicios.

"Delivering the referendum
    "At the May 2011 referendum, as with any referendum held under PPERA, the
    Chief Counting Officer was responsible for certifying the overall result of the
    referendum, but was not directly responsible for the delivery of the poll locally.
    The conduct of the referendum poll in each of the 440 voting areas was the
    responsibility of individual Counting Officers. In those areas where scheduled
    elections also took place on 5 May 2011, the Counting Officer was also the
    Returning Officer for the elections.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  8. Juan II Senior Member

Seville, Spain
    Spanish
    Thank you very much for you comment. Actually, yours is another acception of the expression deliver a referendum.

9. David

David Banned

Hunh? I am not sure what an "acception" is, but it seems to me that deliver a referendum, applies, in British usage (it is not used in the US) to mean the actual implementationof a referendum in a specific locality, for which I have suggested alternatives to "celebrar," which in my opinion includes the whole process, from the passage of referral to referendum by the legislature to the countying of the ballots and return of the results.