della serie/per la serie

elastika

croatia croatian
I am doing a translation from Italian and I can't figure out the exact meaning of the first part of this sentence>
"Per la serie... non c'e mai limite al peggio!" Per la serie... cosa voul dire 'per la serie'? could someone explain?
grazie

• Alfry

Italian
    elastika said:
    I am doing a translation from Italian and I can't figure out the exact meaning of the first part of this sentence>
    "Per la serie... non c'e mai limite al peggio!" Per la serie... cosa voul dire 'per la serie'? could someone explain?
    grazie

aaarrrgggh... what a question... really tough.
    I'll try.

it is like to say "it is like to say" :D

lsp

NY
    US, English
    alfry said:
    aaarrrgggh... what a question... really tough.
    I'll try.

it is like to say "it is like to say" :D
    I'm close, but I'm just not quite able to put my finger on the english equivalent. Can you expound at all?

Tede

USA - English
    I think it might translate to "as the saying goes"?

As in, "as the saying goes, don't put all your eggs in one basket".

Or in this example, "as the saying goes, there are never limits to the worst".

Alfry

Italian
    Tede said:
    Or in this example, "as the saying goes, there are never limits to the worst".

grazie Tede,
    soprattutto per a frase "there are never limits to the worst" ;)

Silvia

Italian
    What about:

(all) along the lines (of)...

It's purely idiomatic and slang, and often meant ironically

It's to say that something is part of a same category... it comes from the analogy with tv serials. But it doesn't have to be related to an actual tv series, you can make it up as if it was one ;)

Example:
    Abbiamo visitato un paesino sperduto della serie casa nella prateria
    Per la serie "ma chi se ne frega"!

shaula

Italy - Italian
    Silvia said:
    It's to say that something is part of a same category... it comes from the analogy with tv serials. But it doesn't have to be related to an actual tv series, you can make it up as if it was one ;)
    Mi ha pagato. Della serie, meglio tardi che mai.
    :)

Ciao
    shaula

Silvia

Italian
    Panpan said:
    How about our idiomatic phrase 'roughly speaking'?
    What does that have to do with "della/per la serie"?

What do announcers say when they are presenting a tv program or a tv series?

Ed ora una nuova puntata della serie "Happy days" (Is there anything similar?)

lsp

NY
    US, English
    Silvia said:
    What does that have to do with "della/per la serie"?

What do announcers say when they are presenting a tv program or a tv series?

Ed ora una nuova puntata della serie "Happy days" (Is there anything similar?)
    I am so lost now. Please Silvia, do you think you could drum up some more (simple) examples?

Silvia

Italian
    Other examples?

Tra pochi istanti, per la serie "Il Conte di Montecristo", trasmetteremo la seconda ed ultima puntata.

Tra poco andrà in onda la seconda parte della serie "Alla conquista del West"

Questi sono tutti esempi da cui è nato il modo di dire "per la serie", "della serie".

Hi guys,

When something happens or is said over and over again we sometimes add a cheeky comment "della serie: X" (where X is often a proverb) to underline it's nothing new, it's something that keeps happening.

Paul aveva detto che non avrebbe mangiato cioccolato per un mese, ma ha appena divorato un'intera tavoletta! (della serie: le ultime parole famose")
    Paul said he wouldn't eat chocolate for a month, but he's just scoffed down a whole bar! (....: last famous words)

Avevi promesso che non avresti più fumato, ma ti sei appena acceso una sigaretta (della serie: mai dire mai)
    You promised you would never smoke any more but you've just lit up a cigarette (....: never say never)

Cheers.

DAH

USA/California--English
    I don't recall anything similar, but others might have something to suggest.

P.S. avrebbe mangiato = would have eaten

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hey dude!
    We have a variety of ironic/offensive ways of saying something similar, but not exactly.
    ...one of many.
    ...and another one.
    ...and yet another one.
    ...and another.
    ...yeah and that's a surprise!
    ...something new?

Did you hear Liz Taylor is getting married again: (any of the phrases)
    I'm starting my new diet on Monday!: (any of the phrases)
    etc.

But they're not "fixed" like your Italian one.

Chiors...

AngelEyes

English - United States
    When something happens or is said over and over again we sometimes add a cheeky comment "della serie: X" (where X is often a proverb) to underline it's nothing new, it's something that keeps happening.
    AE:
    a. "Yeah, yeah. Don't beat it to death."
    b. "Been there. Done that."
    c. "Same old song and dance."

Paul aveva detto che non avrebbe mangiato cioccolato per un mese, ma ha appena divorato un'intera tavoletta! (della serie: le ultime parole famose")
    Paul said he wouldn't eat chocolate for a month, but he's just scarfed down a whole bar! (....: famous last words)
    AE: "The spirit is willing but the body is weak."

Avevi promesso che non avresti più fumato, ma ti sei appena acceso una sigaretta (della serie: mai dire mai)
    You promised you would never smoke any more but you've just lit up a cigarette (....: never say never)
    AE:
    a. "Talk is cheap. I'll believe that when I see it."
    b. "Promises. Promises."

AngelEyes

giovannino

Italian, Neapolitan
    I like this one:
    "Been there. Done that."
    To me it keeps the same "colour" of our della serie.;)

Although I love this phrase too, I don't think it's what Paul was looking for. It's more like "ci sono passato anch'io".
    I think that Bookmom's "in the category" and lsp's "file that under" fit perfectly.

P.S. avrebbe mangiato = would have eaten

I think I would eat is correct as it's one of the situations where Italian and English tenses don't exactly match. :)

Although I love this phrase too, I don't think it's what Paul was looking for. It's more like "ci sono passato anch'io".
    I think that Bookmom's "in the category" and lsp's "file that under" fit perfectly.

Oh yes, this is what I had in mind!

Thank you all

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Paul said he wouldn't eat chocolate for a month, but he's just scoffed down a whole bar! (....: last famous words)

This is also time-sensitive. Sometimes we interrupt the flow of a long sentence.

If someone said the first part:
    "Paul said he wouldn't eat chocolate for a month."
    In AE: "Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it."

Then when they added the second part:
    "...but he's just scoffed down a whole bar!"
    In AE: "Told ya."

If the sentence was said in one breath:
    In AE: "Well, what did you expect? It's Paul."
    In AE: "Some people never change."
    In AE: "Typical."

AngelEyes

GavinW

British English
    Sorry (he said, not really feeling apologetic at all...), but I don't think anyone has answered Paul's interesting and useful question. In fact, I'm a little surprised Paul himself seems so satisfied... ;-)

If you're looking for an English equivalent of the expression "della serie:..." (which is itself used, in the contexts given, to introduce another set phrase/proverb/stock expression), the following work in English in the same way:

"You know what they say:...."
    "..., to coin a phrase." *
    "..., as the saying has it/goes." *
    etc etc

* (these expressions usually appear after the proverb/saying/quote which they refer to.)

underhouse

Italian
    Sorry (he said, not really feeling apologetic at all...), but I don't think anyone has answered Paul's interesting and useful question. In fact, I'm a little surprised Paul himself seems so satisfied... ;-)

If you're looking for an English equivalent of the expression "della serie:..." (which is itself used, in the contexts given, to introduce another set phrase/proverb/stock expression), the following work in English in the same way:

"You know what they say:...."
    "..., to coin a phrase." *
    "..., as the saying has it/goes." *
    etc etc

* (these expressions usually appear after the proverb/saying/quote which they refer to.)

Ciao Gavin,

cosa pensi di:

as in "proverb"

?

GavinW

British English
    Gavin,
    Your suggestions are excellent as usual, however I think "file that under" is good too, isn't it?

Thanks!
    "Good"? Well, ok maybe. Nice and snappy. But I feel it might be too "pointed" for many contexts. In other words: it expresses a verdict, an opinion, I feel, an aspect which is usually absent in the throwaway (and cliched) expression "della serie". IMHO...

EDIT: Sorry Underhouse, I missed you. Yes, "As in:..." is perfect! Much better than my suggestions! Teamwork strikes again! ;-)

rafanadal

Italian
    Hi Paulfromitaly.
    Do you think "in the category" and "file that under" fit for "del tipo".
    I'm writing a short thing and, after explaining something, I want to write a few examples so I'm starting the sentence with "del tipo" this and that . It sounds very close to "della serie" but could you also say "Kind of like this and that" or "Kind of this and that" or "of the kind this and that"?

Bookmom

Hi Paulfromitaly.
    Do you think "in the category" and "file that under" fit for "del tipo".
    I'm writing a short thing and, after explaining something, I want to write a few examples so I'm starting the sentence with "del tipo" this and that . It sounds very close to "della serie" but could you also say "Kind of like this and that" or "Kind of this and that" or "of the kind this and that"?

Hi rafanadal,
    As I understand your example, I might say, along the lines of, similarly, similar to or simply as in/as with...

Blue skies,
    Bookmom

Goggol

Italian - ITALY
    Hi, I'm also interesting to this Italian way "della serie" (I get the feeeling it'll become international because I cannot get no translation)
    For example I was under a video to say: "That song contains their best intro ever but the rest of the track completally :warn:sucks:warn:/bad. Della serie how to ruin a good song!"
    IMHO "della serie" is already perfect as is. So I think it will become soon an English term too, I know it, I can feel it.

Last edited:

sorry66

English, England
    'delle serie' here seems like a 'a perfect/fine/good example of' + saying/cliché (except it's not an expression :()
    (I think I need more examples of 'delle serie' to be sure.)

a perfect/fine/good example of 'never say never'
    a perfect/fine/good example of 'famous last words'
    a perfect/fine/good example of of 'easier said than done'
    a perfect/fine/good example of 'how to ruin a good song'

'In the category of'+ saying/cliché - as the above, it is not something people say in general
    'File that under' + saying/cliché - not said that often (but probably the closest to 'delle serie')

I think Gavin's got the right idea with:
    You know what they say:....":thumbsup:
    "..., as the saying has it/goes." :thumbsup:
    "..., to coin a phrase."
    This expresses irony/reluctance?? - a less than wholehearted embrace of the cliché

I would also add (but it all depends on the saying/expression you are using):

..... as they say (Same as 'You know what they say' but added after the saying):thumbsup:
    Talk about ..... e.g. clutching at straws/upping the ante/cruising for a bruising/ never say never:thumbsup:
    Others I'm less keen on:
    ....... to name /but one/a/ cliché
    ....... and other such clichés
    cue in.......
    ..........he said/she said (in Paul's example ' Famous last words, she said' if the speaker is female)
    kind've like...... (informal)

But, really, you don't need to say anything at all with your cliché/saying. They suffice on their own.

Last edited:

Passante

italian
    della serie of the series expr
    of the range expr
    Mi guardò con il suo sguardo inespressivo: della serie, io nemmeno ti considero.

È giusta o devo seguire delle frasi più idiomatiche come quelle qui nel forum?

MR1492

English -USA
    della serie of the series expr
    of the range expr
    Mi guardò con il suo sguardo inespressivo: della serie, io nemmeno ti considero.

È giusta o devo seguire delle frasi più idiomatiche come quelle qui nel forum?

Raccomanderei i frasi idiomatiche. Le altre suona più scientifico e non come un conversazione normale.

Phil