demalicante

Super Wombat

English Australia
Hello, does anybody know the term "demalicante" in English...?
It is a winemaking term that isn't in my favourite wine glossary...

"Presenta una buona alcol tolleranza ed un buon potere demalicante"

almeno sappiamo che è un aggettivo!

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It's very rare on Google, but snooping about a bit I think it refers to "malic acid".

So I wonder about "...and a good malic (acid) power/etc".

The thing that bothers me is that "de" in front of the word.

Let's see what others say...

pask46

Italy-italian
    @TimLa
    That "de" should give the idea of subtraction.
    "Dequalificante" takes away your heritage ("qualifica"), "debilitante" makes you weak, takes away your power (or health, also).
    The idea of subtraction or, in a certain way, of something descending (hence, also in Englishs words that come from Latin!), comes from Latin which "de" is used with ablative case to mean a high-to-low motion (among other meanings).
    Take for example in English "deregulation".

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    @TimLa
    That "de" should give the idea of subtraction.
    "Dequalificante" takes away your heritage ("qualifica"), "debilitante" makes you weak, takes away your power (or health, also).
    The idea of subtraction or, in a certain way, of something descending (hence, also in Englishs words that come from Latin!), comes from Latin which "de" is used with ablative case to mean a high-to-low motion (among other meanings).
    Take for example in English "deregulation".
    Hi!
    I agree, but I can't make the "de" fit.
    Malic acid "adds" flavor to wine (though it can be bitter), so I'm not sure how "de"-aciding could be "powerful".

Maybe we need the a sentence before and after the one in question.

Benzene

Italian from Italy
    Hi Super Wombat!

Some yeasts during alcoholic fermentation eliminate, with good efficiency, a sub-product named "Malic acid" which produces undesirable salts and esters of Malic acid that are known as malates.

I think that a direct Italian translation into English doesn't exist, therefore I would use: "a good inhibiting power for (of) Malic acid".

Bye,

Benzene

Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    In un sito che commercializza un lievito secco attivo, si dice che è usato fra l'altro per la sua "parziale attività demalicante , essendo in grado di ridurre l’acido malico fino al 30% del suo contenuto iniziale."

E in questo glossario si dà una definizione dell'acido malico in cui si spiega che può essere necessario ridurne la presenza:
    un acido dal sapore molto forte che diminuisce durante la maturazione della frutta, ma che si può sentire ancora nell’uva matura e, nonostante sia ridotto dalla fermentazione, anche nel vino. La quantità di acido malico presente nel vino può essere considerata eccessiva, soprattutto in un vino rosso e spesso si ricorre alla fermentazione malolattica per ammorbidirla e trasformare l’acido malico in Acido lattico, meno pungente.

Oops...crossing...

Super Wombat

English Australia
    If you are on the right track TimLA, then deacidifying would be a good approximate interpretation. I also found malolactic as a possibility but this is very specific term and it may be totally off track.

The reason why they use the word "powerful" is because they are talking of potions and compounds added during winemaking ... after this translation I assure you that a lot of wine is 90 % chemicals!

For example, starting out with a poor grape that has excessive malic acid, you just have to pour in x grams of Saccharomyces cerevisae and you come up with an acceptable supermarket wine!

Even more crossing: thanks everybody... I think the last two posts confirm I can use either one or the other term or better still Benzene's proposal

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >