demanded the suspension of the project unless they receive...

Leafka

Polish
Hi,

I'm writing about a protest against a mining company:

Affected eople from over 30 villages demanded the suspension of the project unless they receive adequate compensation.

I'm not sure if I can say that somebody demanded something unless they receive...? Maybe (...) the suspension of the project or adequate compensation would be better?

• jmichaelm

English - US
    Is the demand still in effect? If this is happening now you will want to say it differently than if it happened in the past.

For example,
    Now: "People are demanding the suspension of the project until they receive compensation."
    Twenty years ago: "People demanded the suspension of the project unless they were compensated."

Leafka

Polish
    The problem is that I'm describing a protest during which the people demanded this, and the protest took place a few days ago. (They have not received what they asked for so far.) So, they demanded (past tense), because I'm describing a protest that took place in the past; should the rest of the sentence read unless they were compensated in an adequate way?

jmichaelm

English - US
    If the protest happened a few days ago then the demand is still in effect. They "are demanding" this in the present.

Unless you mean they have given up on this demand. (It does not seem like that's the case) If they demanded this in the past and today they no longer demand it, then you would refer to it in the past tense, but you would not refer to some time when the demand may be met. It either has been met or it will not be met. The demand is ended.

Last edited:

Leafka

Polish
    Thank you!

The context is as follows:

According to October 2016 news media reports, four people died and a number of others were injured during a protest against X in India. The protest stemmed from allegedly inadequate compensation offered by the company in the process of land acquisition for a mining project. Reportedly, affected people from over 30 villages are demanding the suspension of the project until they receive adequate compensation.

The protest itself ended, but the demand has not, hence the present tense - I think I'm starting to understand this, thanks :)

< Previous | Next >