demanding / fussy (exigente)

gothicpartner

Spanish
Hello,

Does there exist any difference between these two words or could I consider them to be completely synonymous?

E.g.

I am very fussy about women/ foods/etc. Vs.

I am very demanding about women/ foods/etc.

Any comment will be greatly appreciated! Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • T-ching

Argentine Spanish
    I'd say that, even if the 'end product' is similar, the connotation is completely different. Fussy = difficult to please, demanding = expecting a lot/ a high level.

Maximus07

English-U.S.A.
    I think that in this case fussy and demanding could be synonims but fussy is specific where as demanding has a more broad feeling to it and could mean many different things.

Upon further thought I would venture to say that no they are not really synonyms

obz

Yankee English
    I think fussy goes more like hard to please (a difficult person for the sake of being difficult, nothing really makes you happy) like 'caprichoso' i believe.

Demanding is more like exigente. You know what you want and have high standards.

I think 'picky' sounds much better than 'fussy', and carries the same meaning as demanding in this sense (demanding can me other things).
    I would never say 'I'm fussy about women' (especially about women, suena fatal), picky, demanding, but not fussy.

< Previous | Next >