demanding

pippy2

England, English
Hi,

I have a problem deciding whether to use the gerund or another construction in the following sentence:

but presently I heard a soft female voice demanding who I was:

Would I be able to say;

Pero dentro de poco oye una voz feminina exigente quien era

• Prometo

USA English
    ...but presently I heard a soft female voice demanding who I was Pero dentro de poco oye una voz feminina exigente quien era

Pero dentro de poco escuché una insistente pero suave voz femenina preguntándome quién yo era...

Pero al poco rato oí una suave voz femenil demandando quién yo era...

Pero un poco después oí una voz femenina suave que me preguntaba que quién era yo....

By the way, there is a non-standard flavor to your original phrase... either it was not written "correctly" or it's from some older manuscript... If you had "demanding to know" instead of just demanding, then to avail yourself of "exigir" would be ok... in this format, "demanding" becomes more like the Spanish demandar, which means "to ask", although in my first statement above I used "insistente" (holding firm) to convey the idea of the usual "demanding"...

You can see the "ando" forms are acceptable, but if this phrase had been in Spanish originally, something like the third statement would probably be more likely...

alfranco17

Mexico, Spanish
    Two options.

Pero al momento escuché una suave voz femenina que me exigía decirle quién era yo.

Pero al momento escuché una suave voz femenina que me exigía revelar mi identidad.

Best regards.
    Armando.

Ivy29

Banned
    COLOMBIA-Español
    ...but presently I heard a soft female voice demanding who I was Pero dentro de poco oye una voz feminina exigente quien era

Pero dentro de poco escuché una insistente pero suave voz femenina preguntándome quién yo era.
    ´
    En el momento escuché una voz suave femenina preguntando quién era yo.

Ivy29

Jeromed

Banned
    USA, English
    Hi,

I have a problem deciding whether to use the gerund or another construction in the following sentence:

Would I be able to say;

Pero al poco tiempo oí una suave voz de mujer que me preguntaba quién era yo.

Bilbo Baggins

American English
    Hi,

Would I be able to say;

I'm still new and everything but I think that you can use a gerund here. Using a gerund here would constitute a predicate compliment. It describes the DO and the verb simultaneously.

FromPA

USA English
    I don't see any gerunds in your sentence. If you're referring to demanding, that's a participle, but you translated it as an adjective (exigente). It should be exigiendo. My Spanish isn't the greatest, but I would translate it as ...oí una voz suave y feminina exigiendo saber quién era yo.

The phrase ¨demanding who I was¨ seems incomplete to me, and I think you have to add the infinitive ¨to know¨ for it to make gramatical sense. I still understood it in English, but I don´t know if it would makes any sense in Spanish.

< Previous | Next >