Demeanour - meaning

< Previous | Next >

george_mf

French
Dear all,

I have a few vocabulary questions on an article that's why I'm posting several threads (because it's forbidden to ask more than 1 question in a thread...).

in this sentence :
For a professional conductor, José Ángel Salazar has a fresh-faced, youthful demeanour: he is quite short, (...)

What does DEMEANOUR means. I looked in a dictionary but I didn't understand well (maybe because of the context).

SOURCE OF THE SENTENCE / ARTICLE : THE GUARDIAN

Thanks,
Georges.

• Embonpoint

English--American
    Demeanor is the way a person holds himself or acts. In this case, it means he acted young, new to the profession. This appears to be a compliment in context.

Myridon

English - US
    The story is about a fourteen-year old boy who is doing a job that you would expect an adult to do. I'd say it's not meant as a compliment, but a factual observation. :)

Embonpoint

English--American
    The story is about a fourteen-year old boy who is doing a job that you would expect an adult to do. I'd say it's not meant as a compliment, but a factual observation. :)
    Fair enough. I was concerned that my way of explaining what it meant didn't reflect what I viewed as the positive tone of the original about his youthfulness.

< Previous | Next >