Demographic, flush

dhejejjeskms

Korean
Hello, everyone.

I was reading an article about a boy (Ryan) who is an Youtube star and mainly introduce toys to his viewers.
I knew that "demographic" is a term used in science and "flush" is used like "flush the toilet" but I was not sure so I wanted to ask a question.
Would you explain about that?

The amount generated by sponsored posts is small compared with other top YouTubers, Forbes writes. It is "the result not only of how few deals Ryan (or his family) chooses to accept, but also the fact that his pint-sized demographic isn't exactly all that flush".

Thank you.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The thing about English (and other languages I suspect) that a single word may have several meanings, so checking all the ones you find in a dictionary may help:D.
    In this case "flush" means

• well-supplied; prosperous:he felt flush with so much money.

The demographic (of seven-year-olds?) does not have much money.

pops91710

English, AE
    The amount generated by sponsored posts is small compared with other top YouTubers, Forbes writes. It is "the result not only of how few deals Ryan (or his family) chooses to accept, but also the fact that his pint-sized demographic isn't exactly all that flush" =vigorous/full of life

dhejejjeskms

Korean
    The thing about English (and other languages I suspect) that a single word may have several meanings, so checking all the ones you find in a dictionary may help:D.
    In this case "flush" means

• well-supplied; prosperous:he felt flush with so much money.

Thank you.:)

dhejejjeskms

Korean
    The amount generated by sponsored posts is small compared with other top YouTubers, Forbes writes. It is "the result not only of how few deals Ryan (or his family) chooses to accept, but also the fact that his pint-sized demographic isn't exactly all that flush" =vigorous/full of life
    Thank you.:)

kentix

English - U.S.
    Julian hit the mark. Flush in this context means having money to spend. Most seven-year-olds don't have much money of their own.

Here's a random example pulled off the internet.

He'd begun buying and selling cars at the age of forty when he was flush with the proceeds of the gold bullion robbery.

You can be flush with other things besides money but in this context, that's what it means. The general meaning is to have a lot of something. You can be flush with success, for instance.

dhejejjeskms

Korean
    Julian hit the mark. Flush in this context means having money to spend. Most seven-year-olds don't have much money of their own.

Here's a random example pulled off the internet.

He'd begun buying and selling cars at the age of forty when he was flush with the proceeds of the gold bullion robbery.

You can be flush with other things besides money but in this context, that's what it means. The general meaning is to have a lot of something. You can be flush with success, for instance.
    Thank you.

< Previous | Next >