demonstrated intense passion

< Previous | Next >

Maeng

Korean
Good morning, folks !
I have one little trivial question. :)

Here is the quotation.
We selected people on the basis of a combination of having demonstrated intense passion about science and technology and then having the drive to try to carry it forward in the years ahead.
DEMONSTRATE
first meaning : to show or prove something cleary.
second meaning : to protest or support something in public with a lot of other people.

I think underlined word "demonstrated" in above quotation conveys first meaning ( to show or prove something cleary ).
Is it right?
and does "demonstrated" modify "passion" ?
what is it means ?
clear, obvious, unambigous passion ?

Sorry for lots of question, but I'd very appreciate your kind explanation.
Please give me some help~ :)

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello Maeng. :)

I think you have the corrected meaning for demonstrated here: they clearly showed passion. Passion is the object of demonstrated.

I would have written the sentence slightly differently. I would have said:
    ... on the basis of a combination of their having demonstrated intense passion about science and technology and then having the drive to try to carry it forward in the years ahead.
    I see "having demonstrated" and "having [the drive]" as verb forms functioning as nouns. (I would call them 'gerunds.) I use the possessive adjective 'their' to modify them. Thinking about it this way makes it easier for me to understand how the sentence works. Some people use different terminology.

Maeng

Korean
    Cagey, Thanks for your kind reply~
    I can understand the sentence now.
    Wish your happiness :)

< Previous | Next >