demosticated, especially pet cats

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Why wild cats look so evil?
I think one reason for this is that in the wild life means to kill or to be killed (whether by a predator or hunger), which makes them very different to demosticated, especially pet cats who are protected by their masters and never worry about what to eat. It is this kill-or-to-be-killed mental state which makes them look cruel or evil.

Source: English scenario making practice by me.

The question of this thread is whether "demosticated, especially pet cats" is proper English.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    ...which makes them very different to demosticated, especially pet cats who are protected...
    No, the syntax is a little bit off. You'd need to say "domesticated ones/cats".

You could fix it like this:
    which makes them very different to domesticated cats, especially pet cats, which are protected...

I agree that "domesticated cats" is a broader term than "pet cats".

Myridon

English - US
    No, the syntax is a little bit off. .
    I agree. "Wild cats" in the title (or previous paragraph?) is very far away to be expected to be assumed. The first time I read it, I was puzzling over the idea "domesticated wild life". Then, I have to wonder if you mean "domesticated cats" (Felix domesticus) or "domesticated wild cats" (tamed lions).

Myridon

English - US
    Note that in BE a "wild cat" is Felis silvestris silvestris/grampia and not a lion, etc which would be a "big cat". (Scottish wildcat - Wikipedia)
    A lion is a wild cat, not a wildcat. Felis silvestris isn't native to North America (or China) so it didn't occur to me that that could be misunderstood in any way. :) We have many sports teams called the Wild Cats and their mascot might actually be a bobcat, a jaguar, a cougar, ...

< Previous | Next >