<demote> traumatizing warfares to a computer game-like warfare.

episteme0507

Korean
While writing an essay for international issues, I wanted to describe the configuration of the new types of wars by the advent of high-technology such as drones and the like. The sentence with "demote" is as below.

By the advent of the high technology, it has gotten rid of traumatizing aspects of the old wars; old wars commonly left a huge traumatic memory to the soldiers and civilians involved, whereas new wars will not in that the new technology such as drones and the like is most likely to demote infernal and traumatizing warfares to a computer game-like warfare.

I thought (1) degrade or (2) relegate can be replaced with demote as above in a way. But I am not so sure of whether that makes sense or not.

Please help me out and thanks in advance. And if there is a better word for that, please let me know :)

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    It's not entirely wrong in that context (as a metaphor), but I think reduce would be much better.

Also, please note that "warfare" is uncountable and does not have a plural.

suzi br

English / England
    I would not use demote. I think relegate would fit better.

However, are you sure the civilians will notice the difference? It maybe less stressful for the soldiers to send in bombs remotely, but the civilians the bombs land on will not notice the difference, so maybe your sentence structure need to reflect that?

There are other issues in the grammar of your first sentence but I am not allowed to do proof-reading!

episteme0507

Korean
    Thank y'all !!!

If you are fine to do proof-reading, please do :)
    And thank you for that point (civilian-related) that perfectly makes sense. Thank you, again!!

suzi br

English / England
    Thank y'all !!!

If you are fine to do proof-reading, please do :)
    And thank you for that point (civilian-related) that perfectly makes sense. Thank you, again!!
    I am afraid it is a forum rule that we are not allowed to do proofing, but I can just tell you that the way you have started the sentence is not quite right.

< Previous | Next >