Denaro vs Moneta vs Soldi

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by mwebster, Jul 22, 2005.

1. mwebster

mwebster Senior Member

California
    United States/English
    Can someone help clarify the use of "denaro", ''moneta" and "soldi". Can they all be used interchangeably? Do they all mean the same or is their meaning slightly different?

I'm confused about which one to use when...

Thanks
    Mark

2. giocc Senior Member

Milano
    Italy, Italian
    (il) "denaro" e (i) "soldi" mean the same thing, i.e. "money", where the latter form is far more frequently used and colloquial while the former is more formal.
    "Denaro" is only used in the singular form; the plural form indicates an ancient currency (classic example: Judas betrayed Jesus for the price of "trenta denari", thirty pieces).
    "Soldi", on the opposite, is used in plural form, while its singular form indicates a piece of coin in general sense ("mi ha regalato un soldo da collezione"), or - in a slightly different sense - a salary ("il soldo dei mercenari", da cui deriva "soldati", soldiers; "essere al soldo di qualcuno", to work for someone, usually meant in a negative sense).
    Finally, "Moneta" means coins, change (as opposite to "carta moneta" or "banconote", both of which indicate paper bills), or currency (as in "European Union now shares a common currency").
    I hope I answered to your question.
    Ciao

3. mwebster

mwebster Senior Member

California
    United States/English
    Hi Giocc

Thanks for responding. Yes I think that helps me understand the difference better.
    Sorry for taking so long to reply
    Mark

4. giocc Senior Member

Milano
    Italy, Italian
    No reason to be sorry... I'm always glad to help.
    Ciao

5. Eloy1988

Eloy1988 Senior Member

Barcelona, España.
    España/español
    Consequently, would these words be interchangable in the following sentences?

-Non ho soldi/denaro.
    -Il denaro/I soldi è/sono molto importante nella vita.
    -L'ho fatto per soldi/denaro.
    -Guadagna molto denaro/ molti soldi.

6. CPA Senior Member

Rome
    British English/Italian - bilingual
    1 and 3 are more colloquial so "soldi" sounds better. 2 and 4 are more formal, so both would do. :)