denken voor en over de ander kunnen stoppen

killerbees

English [US]
Hi all,

This is from a list of conversational skills for discussion participants:

"...feedback op een helpende manier kunnen geven, denken voor en over de ander kunnen stoppen, etc."

I can't make any sense of the last item in the list.

Thanks in advance!

• Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Literally it says: "to be able to stop thinking for (instead of) the other and to stop thinking about the other". "To stop thinking about the other" would mean "to stop forming an opinion about the other (person)". "To stop thinking for the other" would mean "to give a chance to the other person's opinion and not impose your own opinion".

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    I see Peterdg was first to express my thought, so I'll try and add something.
    "to be able to stop thinking for the other" means rather: don't present your opinion as if it where his (the so called 'stroman' figure of speach)

'to stop forming an opinion about the other (person)': ...
    in order to avoid a bias or prejudice on the personal level.

Hans Molenslag

Dutch
    "to be able to stop thinking for (instead of) the other and to stop thinking about the other".
    Zo zou je het eventueel kunnen lezen, maar dan is de zinsconstructie wel erg ongebruikelijk, om niet te zeggen ongrammaticaal.

Ik vind het een weinig geloofwaardige interpretatie. Als dit werkelijk hetgeen is wat bedoeld wordt, zou je het in idiomatisch Nederlands op een andere manier uitdrukken.

Last edited:

killerbees

English [US]
    Thanks for the help everyone. As it turns out, I was reading it right, I just was not understanding it—if that makes any sense. I kept interpreting "denken over de ander" as "thinking about another person" and couldn't figure out how stopping that would be perceived as a positive trait. The text also goes into great detail about this later on, so I apologize for jumping the gun on asking this, but again, many thanks.

< Previous | Next >