Department of Employment jobcentre

bloomiegirl

US English
I'd appreciate some help translating "the Department of Employment jobcentre" - the English government agency where people go when they're unemployed and need to get a job.

My try: "le centre d'emploi au Service du Travail"?

Merci d'avance.

• jamesjiao

New Zealand English and Mandarin Chinese
    What about 'Le Ministère de Travail'. Doesn't 'service' refer to a corporate department?

BigRedDog

France, French
    I'd appreciate some help translating "the Department of Employment jobcentre" - the English government agency where people go when they're unemployed and need to get a job.

My try: "le centre d'emploi au Service du Travail"?

Merci d'avance.
    So let me understand: you are speaking about this UK agency and you want to translate its name so that to be understood by French speaking people? Humm ... the question being from which French speaking country?

If it's France you could try: l'ANPE (Agence Nationale Pour l'Emploi) in which case you could say: "l'équivalent de l'ANPE pour les britanniques" without translating word for word.

The_Quebecer

Quebec - Français
    Corrigez-moi si je me trompe, mais "the Department of Employment jobcentre" c'est incorrect, c'est un pléonasme. C'est ou bien Department of Employment, ou bien jobcenter. En français, c'est la même chose. Jobcenter c'est "centre d'emploi". Pour Department of Employment, s'il s'agit bien d'un ministère, ca serait "Ministère de l'Emploi". Un centre d'emploi relève du ministère.

bloomiegirl

US English
    JamesJaio - Merci pour "le ministère". ("I knew that!") :eek:

Marcolo et BigRedDog - Merci pour l'ANPE. :)

The_Quebecer - Parole d'honneur, c'est comme ça dans le texte qu'on m'a donné. :eek:

< Previous | Next >