department store

• xhalli

México Spanish
    A store where you can buy different kinds of merchandise like food, clothes, toys, furniture, alectric appliances, etc. Everything is in the same store. Have you heard about Wallmart chain? That's a department store.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Such stores are called "department" stores because the different types of merchandise are found in different "departments". Shoes, for example, would be in the "shoe department"; suitcases would be in the "luggage department"; fishing rods and footballs would be in the "sporting goods department"; men's suits would be in the "menswear department", and so on.

peter199083

Mandarin
    In my point of contention,I believe that Carrefoure is not a department store.
    Actually,Carrefoure is supposed to be called"supermarket" or "hipermarket".
    Spermarket is a market where you can select things freely and ultimately pay the total bill at a counter.
    Department store is a place where a thing is sold at it own counter.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    I think Peter is right. The Carrefours I know I would class as hypermarkets. In department stores, as he says, you usually pay for each item or combination of items in the relevant section of the shop.

Last edited:

una madre

Western Canada English
    I think Peter is right. The Carrefours I know I would class as hypermarkets. In department stores, as he says, you usually pay for each item or combination of items in the relevant section of the shop.

Hmmm,
    hypermarket is a new one on me. I guess I can figure out what it is but could you tell me where the term is used and how commonly it is used? Thanks.

Machin

Peruvian Spanish
    A department store has clothin, children, men's, women's departments. Hypermarkets are huge supermarkets where you spend at leat 90 minutes simply browsing.

Still, in a department store you may pay for everything upon leaving.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Moderator Note:
    The topic of this thread is "department store".
    If someone wants to discuss "hypermarket", please open a new thread.
    Thank you. :)

< Previous | Next >