depend on and depend of

thuhoai

Vietnam
Hi everyone,

Depending of the United Kingdom law, we might require additional details about General Partners, such as contact
address, scan of the ID or passport and other details required to Know Our Clients.

I have been taught that the preposition on or upon is used after "depend" but the above sentence "depend of" is used.
Could you tell me a difference between "depend on" and "depend of"?

Thanks

http://www.thetabiz.com/uk-corporate-services/uk-limited-partnerships/

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    You're right. Many parts of thetabiz.com are not written in correct English - even though on this page it promotes business services for the U.K. The company is based in Panama. I wouldn't use this site as a good example of anything.

Tracer

American English
    DEPENDING ON is correct, as you suspected.

I read the document. The incorrect "depending of" occurs at least twice....PLUS....it has other language errors. Most likely, this document was written in a hurry by a person with serious "language deficiencies", possibly by a non-native English speaker. (Notice that the company is registered in PANAMA......in other words, BEWARE).

Bottom line: You're right, they're wrong.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It is Depending on or Dependent upon.

The whole site that you linked to is filled with grammatical errors. Whoever wrote it is not a native speaker and/or is poorly educated.

e.g. "other details required to Know Our Clients" - phrase is not idiomatic and no capitalisation is required.

NB: The request for passport scans is to be treated with the utmost caution, as I can see no legitimate reason for it. If you are thinking of doing business with them, I would think again.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I didn't take the time to go to the site—Egmon'ts, Tracer's, and PaulQ's descriptions were sufficient. But from them, I wonder if, with the request for a passport scan, it isn't some kind of identity-theft scam.:mad:

Talingo

English
    You're right. Many parts of thetabiz.com are not written in correct English - even though on this page it promotes business services for the U.K. The company is based in Panama. I wouldn't use this site as a good example of anything.
    The company is Registered in Panama but they are based in an unknown Country in Europe, by non Panamanians (maybe Croatians). The use of the Panama photos on the site helps them create the illusion that they are in Panama. And yes their text always skips "the" and "a".

Last edited:

Silampa

Spanish
    The company is registered in Panama only. It has no people in Panama or anything to do with Panama. The contact person is European with some Eastern EU accent. Euro IP

<<Added later>>
    Panama address: PO Box
    Contact name with an Eastern EU accent: John Louis. Fake name. Ripoff report shows him with an IP in France
    Offer on the site to get a Bank License in Panama remotely: Impossible

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >