depend 'to?'

mike.JR

turkish
hi, excuse me if i'm writing under a wrong topic...

now, we're discussing with a friend if there exists an expression "depends to"; that means, an other thing except "depends on".

thanks =)

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi.
    I think it depends to a large extent on the context, like this sentence.
    Clearly there are plenty of adverbial phrases which start with to, and they can be used to modify to depend: we can say

That depends to a degree on...
    That depends to all intents and purposes on...
    Etc.

I thought Mike was asking if there was a phrasal verb to depend to. If he was, then I can't think of circumstances in which we say that.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Wishful is right; there are certain contexts in which depend and to will be next to each other, but "to" will not really go with "depends". It also doesn't affect the meaning of depends, which is what you are looking for.

I can't think of any example in which "depend to" does give "depend" a different meaning, but I may be missing something. You should ask your friend for an example of this use. We would be better able to comment on it. There may be something I haven't thought of.

Added: I didn't see Thomas Tompion's post until I finished this. I believe we are saying the same thing.

Wishfull

Japanese
    Hi.

It is apparently different from the original question's intention, but I found another "depend to". To-infinitive.

It depends to indicate that you cannot give a clear answer to a question because the answer will be affected or determined by other factors.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi.

It is apparently different from the original question's intention, but I found another "depend to". To-infinitive.

It depends to indicate that you cannot give a clear answer to a question because the answer will be affected or determined by other factors.
    Where did you find this, Wishful? I don't think the writer knows what he's doing. I couldn't parse this 'sentence'.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think this is an explanation of the expression "it depends", as it is used in AE. (Possibly this is not used in BE.) It employs ellipsis, as a list may.
    It depends [is used] to indicate that you cannot give a clear answer to a question because the answer will be affected or determined by other factors.

Wishfull

Japanese
    Hi.
    It is from "Collins COBUILD Dictionary for advanced learners on CD-ROM 2006", "depend" 's page.

3. If you can depend on a person, organization, or law, you know that they will support you or help you when you need them.
    `You can depend on me,' Cross assured him.
    = rely

4 VERB it/that V, it V on n/wh
    You use depend in expressions such as it depends to indicate that you cannot give a clear answer to a question because the answer will be affected or determined by other factors.

So Cagey is right. Sorry for bothering you.

BTW,
    I found the-real-depend-to.
    http://www.una.edu/geography/statedepted/themes.html

How do humans and the environment affect each other? We change the environment and then sometime Mother Nature changes it back. For example, floods in the mid-West, Hurricane Emily (Hatteras), and earthquakes and mudslides in California.

There are three key concepts to human/environmental interaction:

Humans adapt on the environment.
    Humans modify the environment.
    Humans depend to the environment.

I wonder it might be merely a typo, because the writer use "depend on the environment" at the other portion of his/her writing.

Last edited:

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I think this is an explanation of the expression "it depends", as it is used in AE. (Possibly this is not used in BE.) It employs ellipsis, as a list may.
    It depends [is used] to indicate that you cannot give a clear answer to a question because the answer will be affected or determined by other factors.
    Thank you, Cagey. That makes perfect sense. The initial punctuation was misleading.

[...]Humans depend to the environment.

I wonder it might be merely a typo, because the writer use "depend on the environment" at the other portion of his/her writing.
    I'm confident it's a typo.

atsamo

Polish
    Hi.
    I think it depends to a large extent on the context, like this sentence.
    Hi,
    In the example "I think it depends to a large extent on the context", the preposition to isn't a part of the verb depends; it belongs to the phrase to a large extent. One can remove the phrase, which modifies the verb depends, from the sentence thus being left with the phrasal verb depends on.

Last edited:

e174043

Turkish,Azerbaijani
    Hi,
    In the example "I think it depends to a large extent on the context", the preposition to isn't a part of the verb depends; it belongs to the phrase to a large extent. One can remove the phrase, which modifies the verb depends, from the sentence thus being left with the phrasal verb depends on.
    Me too, It's like "to a certain extent". It's not a part of the "depends"

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Hello Cagey
    We do use the phrase "It depends." in BrE, very often as "It all depends."

this is an explanation of the expression "it depends", as it is used in AE. (Possibly this is not used in BE.) It employs ellipsis, as a list may.

Hermione

sound shift

English - England
    Well, Cagey, if your use of the word "ellipsis" and your use of square brackets indicate that "is used" can be omitted from this sentence in AE, then BE differs in this area, it seems to me, because to me the sentence makes sense only if "is used" is included (in which case we do not, of course, have the collocation "depends to").

By contrast, we BE speakers can say "We use 'it depends' to indicate ....", but the "to" means "in order to"; there is no phrasal verb here.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >