dependence among

machadinho

Português do Brasil
Hi. I don't know how to make this question:
bluntly, can I use these interchangeably?

1. The fact that some religious beliefs depend upon other religious beliefs is not a problem. :)
  2. The dependence of religious beliefs upon other religious beliefs is not a problem. :)
  3. The dependence between two religious beliefs is not a problem. :confused:
  4. The dependence among religious beliefs is not a problem. :confused::confused:
In other words, does dependence among beliefs mean the same as dependence of some beliefs upon other beliefs?
The reason I'm asking this is that it seems the phrase dependence among usually means dependence as present in each member of a group irrespective of other members, instead of dependence between them. For example, in nicotine dependence among patients is a bad thing it is not stated that patients depend upon one another, but that each experiences his own nicotine dependence.

Thanks! :)

• wandle

English - British
    For sentences (3) and (4), use 'interdependence of' instead of the phrases in bold.

Those two sentences as written are not illogical or ungrammatical, but they are inferior when the better alternative 'interdependence of' is available. For example:

'The interdependence of different beliefs...'

machadinho

Português do Brasil
    Thanks for the suggestion! I think I can use interdependence of in a lot of passages.
    But just to make clear suppose I say:

Belief A depends upon belief B.
    Belief B depends upon belief C.
    Belief C depends upon belief D.

There seems to be no interdependence here, right? In this case, is it idiomatic English to say this?
    Dependence among beliefs A, B, C, and D is not a problem.

Thanks again! :)

wandle

English - British
    'Dependence among' is not incorrect, but it is vague. It would not be enough to convey the specific situation you describe. I would call that a chain of dependency, from A to B, to C, etc.

< Previous | Next >