dependent variable

baachmk

Georgian
Can you help me to more clearly identify my "dependent variable" from this example? <——-Question from original thread title added to post by moderator (Florentia52)——->

The impact of Russia’s soft power strategy on Georgia’s political, social and economic environment under the ruling party, Georgian DreamDemocratic Georgia

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    The phrase “dependent variable“ does not appear in your quoted text. What exactly is your question?

Also, please give us the complete sentence, and tell us where you found it.

grassy

Polish
    Can you help me to more clearly identify my "dependent variable independent variable from this example?
    The title indicates that what you're doing is descriptive and not experimental, so those two terms don't apply to your research.

baachmk

Georgian
    The title indicates that what you're doing is descriptive and not experimental, so those two terms don't apply to your research.
    My teaching assistant told me that I have a dependent and independent variable in it. <——-Comment removed by moderator (Florentia52) for tone——-> Dependent variable is Georgia’s political, social and economic environment under the ruling party, Georgian DreamDemocratic Georgia

This is my dissertation topic and research question: Can you please help me to identify my dependent and independent variable? Some users have told me that I do not have it at all and I am panicked! My teaching assistant is saying that my dependent variable is "Georgia’s political, social and economic environment under the ruling party, Georgian DreamDemocratic Georgia" and independent is The impact of Russia’s soft power strategy. Is my teaching assistant right? Because members here confused me so much! :(

Topic:

The impact of Russia’s soft power strategy on Georgia’s political, social and economic environment under the ruling party, Georgian Dream
    Democratic Georgia

How does Russia’s soft power strategy affect Georgia’s political, social and economic environment under the ruling party, Georgian Dream Democratic Georgia?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I have not heard your terms before. Could you clarify what you mean and explain why the status of "variables" is important in your title? :thumbsup: As I understand the terms: Understand the Difference Between Independent and Dependent Variables

The two main variables in an experiment are the independent and dependent variable.

An independent variable is the variable that is changed or controlled in a scientific experiment to test the effects on the dependent variable.

A dependent variable is the variable being tested and measured in a scientific experiment.

The dependent variable is 'dependent' on the independent variable. As the experimenter changes the independent variable, the effect on the dependent variable is observed and recorded.

baachmk

Georgian
    I have not heard your terms before. Could you clarify what you mean and explain why the status of "variables" is important in your title? :thumbsup: As I understand the terms: Understand the Difference Between Independent and Dependent Variables
    Dependent variable is affected by and independent variable is the cause of that effect! This is simply how I understood it but some members here told me that I do not have it at all which I think is wrong. I think that my dependent variable is: Georgia’s political, social and economic environment under the ruling party, Georgian DreamDemocratic Georgia affected by independent variable which is The impact of Russia’s soft power strategy. The aim of my research is to understand how does it affect "Russia's soft power instrument" on Georgia's economic, social and political situation. This is what I am aiming, to understand it!

(Independent variable) causes a change in (Dependent Variable) and it isn't possible that (Dependent Variable) could cause a change in (Independent Variable).

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I have not heard your terms before. Could you clarify what you mean and explain why the status of "variables" is important in your title? :thumbsup:

As I understand the terms: Understand the Difference Between Independent and Dependent Variables
    The two main variables in an experiment are the independent and dependent variable.

An independent variable is the variable that is changed or controlled in a scientific experiment to test the effects on the dependent variable.

A dependent variable is the variable being tested and measured in a scientific experiment.

The dependent variable is 'dependent' on the independent variable. As the experimenter changes the independent variable, the effect on the dependent variable is observed and recorded.

raumar

Norwegian
    I am not a native speaker, but a political scientist - so I can try to help you. If X has an impact on Y, X is an independent variable and Y is the dependent variable. Therefore, the independent variable is not "the impact of Russia’s soft power strategy", but "Russia’s soft power strategy".

These terms are necessary in quantitative reseach, as PaulQ describes above. But they can often (but not always) also be useful in qualitative research, to present your research question more clearly. But you don't need these concepts in the title.

Of course, I can't really give a definitive answer to your question without reading the dissertation. For example, if you also ask whether the policy of the ruling party affects Georgia’s political, social and economic environment, this policy would be an additional independent variable.

baachmk

Georgian
    I am not a native speaker, but a political scientist - so I can try to help you. If X has an impact on Y, X is an independent variable and Y is the dependent variable. Therefore, the independent variable is not "the impact of Russia’s soft power strategy", but "Russia’s soft power strategy".

These terms are necessary in quantitative reseach, as PaulQ describes above. But they can often (but not always) also be useful in qualitative research, to present your research question more clearly. But you don't need these concepts in the title.

Of course, I can't really give a definitive answer to your question without reading the dissertation. For example, if you also ask whether the policy of the ruling party affects Georgia’s political, social and economic environment, this policy would be an additional independent variable.
    Thank you for very clear answer! I was thinking the same way!

We were told that in our topic and research question Independent and Dependent variable should be visible. So you can see my initial question right? Am I right with my dependent variable? Which is Georgia’s political, social and economic environment under the ruling party, Georgian Dream Democratic Georgia the aim of this research is to understand how Georgia's political, social and economic situation is affected by Russia's soft power strategy which in this case is a cause of change and not the change itself. As I understood the independent variable causes the change in the dependent variable. Can you confirm this?

< Previous | Next >