Depending on how distracted she was

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by siyoung91, Jan 13, 2013.

1. siyoung91 Member

English
    I always struggle with this construction in French, i.e. "how (adjective) she/he was".

My attempt:

En fonction de comment elle était distraite.

That just looks and sounds wrong to me. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. moustic Senior Member

near Limoges
    British English
    Context, please. And a full sentence.

3. siyoung91 Member

English
    "What she would tell me varied in relation to my age and also in relation to how distracted she was at the time."

Ce qu’elle me disait variait en fonction de mon âge, et également en fonction de comment elle était distraite en ce temps-là?

4. moustic Senior Member

near Limoges
    British English
    Maybe something with "en fonction de son état de distraction" or "son degré de distraction".
    A native speaker will be along soon with something better ... :)

5. Itisi

Itisi Senior Member

Paris/Hastings UK
    English UK/French
    ce qu'elle m'a dit a varié selon mon âge et son degré de distraction

6. leturc Senior Member

France French
    What do you mean by "distracted" ?
    According to the cambridge dictionary it means nervous, worried or confused because you are worried about something. ANd according to the Meriam webster dictionary distracted can also mean: mentally confused, troubled, or remote. In which case degré de distraction doesn't quite convey the meaning. If there is this idea of nervousness then I would rather use "préoccupée"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  7. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    I find the first bit rather strange, I presume it means "tout ce qu'elle me disait se modifiait au fil du temps et dépendait de ses préoccupations du moment"?