Deposit Confirmation - payment receipt

< Previous | Next >

CORALINNA

Portuguese - Brasil
If a student makes the payment for his private lessons by deposit, the paper he sends the teacher to prove that is called the deposit confirmation, payment receipt or is there another name that would be more appropriate?

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    The best name for this depends on where the money goes. Where is this this student depositing the money? For example, is he putting it into the teacher's bank account?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I would call it "the receipt." Written confirmation of payment for anything is a receipt.

English used to have a whole pile of bureaucratic phrases for receipts specific to one type of transaction: There seems to have been a movement away from this and towards (except where absolutely necessary) the use of a descriptive adjectival phrase - in your case "The receipt for the deposit."

CORALINNA

Portuguese - Brasil
    The best name for this depends on where the money goes. Where is this this student depositing the money? For example, is he putting it into the teacher's bank account?
    Yes, the teacher’s bank account.

CORALINNA

Portuguese - Brasil
    I would call it "the receipt." Written confirmation of payment for anything is a receipt.

English used to have a whole pile of bureaucratic phrases for receipts specific to one type of transaction: There seems to have been a movement away from this and towards (except where absolutely necessary) the use of a descriptive adjectival phrase - in your case "The receipt for the deposit."
    I see your point.

kentix

English - U.S.
    In my normal vocabulary (American English), I don't use deposit this way in relation to paying for things. For me, a deposit is a partial payment.

If I want to buy something that costs $1000 but I don't have $1000 right now, at some places I can put down a deposit. That means I pay part of the money now to show I'm serious about buying the item (and to keep them from selling it to someone else). Maybe the deposit will be around $200. Later I can come back with the other $800 and then they will give me the item. The receipt I get when I pay them the deposit is my "deposit receipt". It proves I put down a deposit and have partly paid for the item. That receipt will say $200.

In your case, you're talking about something completely different. Over here I don't think we generally deposit money into someone else's account. We give them the money and they deposit it themselves. So if we had a receipt, it would usually be directly from that person.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In the UK, a deposit is often taken, in the OP's manner, by a landlord from a tenant or from a car-hire company from the hirer. If at the end of the tenancy/hire, the house/car is undamaged, then the deposit is returned. If there is damage, then the deposit (in whole or in part) is used to rectify the damage, and the remainder, if any, is returned to the tenant/hirer. A receipt is thus required.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Over here I don't think we generally deposit money into someone else's account
    We do over here, but we don't call it depositing. We might hand over or mail a cheque, but increasingly this method is becoming less popular.
    Instead we move money directly from our bank account into the other person's. We call it a bank transfer.

boozer

Bulgarian
    If a student makes the payment for his private lessons by deposit, the paper he sends the teacher to prove that is called the deposit confirmation, payment receipt or is there another name that would be more appropriate?
    I would call it a deposit slip stamped by the bank.

You go to the bank and fill out the deposit slip (or they fill it out for you, as the case may be) in duplicate. Then you hand it over to the bank clerk and the bank clerk stamps it with the date stamp and signs it. And keeps one copy while giving the other one to you.

A stamped and signed deposit slip remains a deposit slip :) Stamped and signed already :)

'Deposit' strikes me as the most accurate word for the situation.

< Previous | Next >