Deprecate vs Disapprove

Tij Qwu

English
I don't understand if there is any difference between these two words: deprecate and disapprove.

For example:

"We deprecated this use of company funds for political purposes."

"I disapproved with his idea of expanding production."

Thanks in advance.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It is the same difference that separates appreciate and approve

"I appreciate (to accept with some pleasure) your shooting him, but I don't think I can approve (to agree that a course of action is right and proper) - breaking his legs would have been enough."

lingobingo

English - England
    Deprecate is quite a formal word, and not an everyday one. I expect quite a lot of people don’t even know it. It probably crops up most when someone is accused of making “deprecating remarks” about someone or something.

Disapprove, though, is universal. This is the “normal” word used with regard to expressing dislike of or objection to something.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    To deprecate is to express disapproval. You may disapprove of something but remain silent about it, and let no one else know of your disapproval. You are thus disapproving without deprecating. However, if you deprecate something, you are making others aware of your disapproval.

Chasint

English - England
    I don't understand if there is any difference between these two words: deprecate and disapprove.

For example:

"We deprecated this use of company funds for political purposes."

"I disapproved with his idea of expanding production." :cross:

Thanks in advance.
    "I disapproved of his idea of expanding production." :tick:
    "I disagreed with his idea of expanding production." :tick:

< Previous | Next >