deprive or strip of money

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
a.jpg

Source: vocabulary for the high school student

Hello,
Look at this picture please.
I have underlined a part with a red pen. I know the meanings of [deprive] and [strip] but I have some questions:

1. As far as I know the word [deprive] is not a noun. Then is it used as a verb in the red underlined part? If it's used as a verb, then it needs the preposition [of] because it's a phrasal verb. Why hasn't it been used with [of] here?

2. [deprive or strip of money] isn't written in a good grammar structure because [deprive] and [strip] should be used as a verb not a noun in this context. They look to be used as a noun. [deprive or strip of money] doesn't make sense to me although I know their meanings.

3. I have checked the definition of [strip] in the dictionaries. [to strip sth of sth] exists in the dictionaries and makes sense but [strip of money] doesn't make sense to me because I don't even know whether [strip] has been used as a noun or as a verb here.

I would be grateful if you do me a favor by clarifying the red underlined part to me.

Thank you.

• pob14

American English
    It's a verb. The alternatives given are "deprive of money or belongings" (deny money to) and "strip of money or belongings" (remove money from).

It's essentially a dictionary; it's trying to give you a definition in as small a space as possible, so all the unnecessary words are removed. It's not supposed to be "a good grammar structure."

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Does really [deprive of something] exist as a verb?
    [of] makes it odd to be used as a verb.

In which dictionary have you ever seen [to deprive of something]?

Thank you.

de•prive/dɪˈpraɪv/v. [ ~ + obj + of + obj],-prived, -priv•ing.

1. to keep (someone) from having or enjoying something; keep or prevent (someone) from having or using:to deprive a child of affection.

This is from our WR reference dictionary, and as VikNixSor just posted, it is in all dictionaries.

JamesM

Deprive is the verb. To be deprived of something is quite common. "I don't think well when I'm deprived of sleep."

There are other verbs that are followed by "of":

dream of
    talk of
    accuse of

I'm not sure why this particular one is troubling you. Can you explain why you think it is so odd?

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    You didn't understand my question.

I say:

To deprive somebody of something = This is acceptable to me because this exists in the dictionaries
    But
    To deprive of something doesn't exist. => In the above expression we have [somebody] but in the second one we don't have any [him, her, them, somebody, etc] That's why I say this is an odd structure without [him, her, them, somebody, etc.]

Do you understand what I mean now?

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    What you quoted in #1 is not a normal sentence, but a dictionary definition. "Someone" is implied, but not stated: "deprive or stripe (someone) of".

< Previous | Next >