depuis le début

Cleare

IDF
Russian
Hello,

I'm a bit confused with the phrase. Could you help me? The context - the narrator thinks that she is a Muse for one singer who uses some facts from her life to write his songs. The text:

Mme A, comme moi, s'est posé de nombreuse questions, et nous décidâmes alors, persuadées de trouver des réponses, de traduire les chansons de Mr X depuis le début.

My attempt:
As I did, Mme A put herself many questions and so, being persuaded to find answers, we decided to translate all Mr X's songs from the first one.

Thanks in advance!

• Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    Hello,

I'm a bit confused with the phrase. Could you help me? The context - the narrator thinks that she is a Muse for one singer who uses some facts from her life to write his songs. The text:

Mme A, comme moi, s'est posé de nombreuse questions, et nous décidâmes alors, persuadées de trouver des réponses, de traduire les chansons de Mr X depuis le début.

My attempt:
    As I did, Mme A put herself many questions and so, being persuaded to find answers, we decided to translate all Mr X's songs from the first one.

Thanks in advance!
    I would say: "Mme A asked herself many questions." I think we put questions to other people, not to ourselves.

Also: "being persuaded that we had to find some answers", rather than "being persuaded to find answers". I have to say, though, I find this a rather odd sentence, and if I could see the context, I might change my mind.

Finally, I would say, "We decided to translate all of Mr. X's songs, beginning with his earliest ones," or "beginning with his very first ones", something like that.

Cleare

IDF
    Russian
    I would say: "Mme A asked herself many questions." I think we put questions to other people, not to ourselves.

Also: "being persuaded that we had to find some answers", rather than "being persuaded to find answers". I have to say, though, I find this a rather odd sentence, and if I could see the context, I might change my mind.

Finally, I would say, "We decided to translate all of Mr. X's songs, beginning with his earliest ones," or "beginning with his very first ones", something like that.
    Thank you Seneca the Duck for your comments and corrections!

< Previous | Next >