Der Kaffee flog durch die Luft und landete auf den Wänden, auf dem Fußboden und auf Ingrids weißem T-Shirt.

vladimirtan1481

Chinese
A preposition followed by accusative refer to preposition with movement.
Whereas a preposition followed by dative case refer to preposition that don't involve any movement.
Take a look at this sentence which I found it in café in Berlin.
Der Kaffee flog durch die Luft und landete auf den Wänden, auf dem Fußboden und auf Ingrids weißem T-Shirt.
My question is why Fußboden and Ingrids weißem T-Shirt is in dative case?

Appreciate for your help:)

• Kajjo

A preposition followed by accusative refer to preposition with movement.
    Whereas a preposition followed by dative case refer to preposition that don't involve any movement.
    The answer is easy: This rule of thumb is simply misleading. Forget it.

The true core is, that if you ask with a location or state it is usually dative; if you ask with a change, direction or aim it is usually accusative.

Here the question is: Wo landete der Kaffee? You ask for a location. Only the story line implies movement, but the actual grammatical structure gives a location.

vladimirtan1481

Chinese
    The answer is easy: This rule of thumb is simply misleading. Forget it.

The true core is, that if you ask with a location or state it is usually dative; if you ask with a change, direction or aim it is usually accusative.

Here the question is: Wo landete der Kaffee? You ask for a location. Only the story line implies movement, but the actual grammatical structure gives a location.
    Is the sentence still correct, if I change both of the dative case to Akkusativ Case?

< Previous | Next >