Derecho

rossgallimports

Mexico, Spanish
Hello to all. How would I translate the word "Derecho" in this context (Necessary Divorce Proceedings? This is found in the document submitted to the judge by the plaintiff:

D E R E C H O (Applicable Law)???

Your Honor, you have competence to preside over these proceedings in accordance to Articles X, X, X, Section X, and other related and applicable from the current XXX...

I have the capacity to file these proceedings, in accordance with the terms of Articles X, X, X.... from the Code of....

Thank you for all your help!

• Ricardo D

Spanish
    I'm confused. Is your source in English or Spanish? If it's in Spanish can you put a passage with the word "derecho" included in it?

rossgallimports

Mexico, Spanish
    I am sorry, the source is in Spanish and the word "Derecho" appears on top of the text that I included earlier. It is at the very end of the document where the plaintiff starts enumerating all the Articles and Sections applicable to the proceedings, and just before the plaintiff requests from the judge that he accepts his proper and timely lawsuit against XXX... I really do not know if I should go with "Applicable Articles" of just the literal "Law".
    Thank you!

Ricardo D

Spanish
    I only see the word derecho twice and in each case there is no context whatsoever.

The only texts you quote are in English.

rossgallimports

Mexico, Spanish
    Ok. Aqui esta el texto en Espanol:

DERECHO

Es usted competente Ciudadano Juez, para conocer del presente juicio en terminos de lo dispusto por los articulos X, X, X.

Tengo personalidad para promover el presente juicio, en terminos de lo dispuesto por los articulos X, X, X, X.

En cuanto al fondo del asunto, son aplicables los articulos X, X, X,....

Por lo anteriormente expuesto y fundado, de usted C. Juez atentamente solicito:

PRIMERO.- Me tenga por demandando en la via y forma propuesta a xxxx...
    SEGUNDO.- Con las copias simples que se acompanan, notifiquese al demandado....

(Mi duda es solamente la palabra "DERECHO". Estaba pensando que quiza es "Applicable Precepts"? puesto que esta ennumerando los articulos que aplican en este caso.

Gracias nuevamente.

jeffbeornottobezos

English - American
    That preamble or prefatory statement (in the U.S. we would never call it a precept) is addressing matters of jurisdiction--that is, the judicial competency to try the case.

In the United States, proper jurisdiction has three elements:

(1) Subject matter jurisdiction (competencia de materia)
    (2) Personal jurisdiction (competencia territorial, relacionado a la cuestion y las partes interesadas)
    (3) Proper Venue (competencia territorial, pero frecuentemente habra mas que uno competente tribunal)

< Previous | Next >