derivative

< Previous | Next >

notyouraveragematteo

English, Japanese
' The original is a work done by a genius. The Translation is derivative'. What is the meaning of derivative in this context?

Thanks.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    ' The original is a work done by a genius. The Translation is derivative'. What is the meaning of derivative in this context?

Thanks.
    I find this a pretty odd thing to say, because, in one sense, in that a translation is derived from the original, all translations are derivative by definition. Granted that, if this is a remark made by someone who uses words carefully, I would take it to mean that this particular translation was derived from other translations. However, this meaning still sits strangely alongside the remark about the original. Perhaps more context might make all clear.

floise

U.S.;English
    Hi notyouraveragematteo,

One of the meanings of 'derivative' is 'lacking originality; banal'.

I think that this is the meaning intended here, since they say that the original was the product of a genius. I suppose the translation was not so fantastic, lacked creativity or something.

floise

notyouraveragematteo

English, Japanese
    Hi Guys, thanks for the help. Floise, you're right. The original text demonstrates creativity while the translated text is, in contrast to the original, banal.

< Previous | Next >