Derogate

Tyrion Lann

INDIA -Hindi
When I use the phrase "derogate from" my thought start tottering in itself and I seem to be unconnected with this phrase.
Eg .
1. Your look can't derogate from what you really are. (Disparage Belittle)( I interpret it as your look can't derogate you from what you really are.)
2. I want a perfect result and nothing can derogate from it. ( Stray) (... and nothing can derogate me from it.)

Please, enlighten me with your words.

• Copyright

American English
    Honestly, forget it, especially if you want to be understood. I know the word but have never seen it used in general communication. I'm sure someone will clarify the situation for you, so this is just an Advice Bookmark. :)

lingobingo

English - England
    I was going to say much the same. Does anyone use that phrase any more, except in very formal written text? We tend to use derogatory, but detract from (or deviate from).

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In general terms, Copyright's advice is good. However, "to derogate" is common in BE in the restricted context of the European Union. This organisation commonly uses the verb (and also the noun "derogation") to mean "to withdraw partly from an agreement or law (and thus not to implement that part of it.)"

Otherwise, it is not used.

< Previous | Next >