des peaux élastiques

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
Dear Friends, I've just come across this in a story I'm reading:

"Alors, j'aperçus une masse incolore, une sorte de grande pomme de terre mal faite, empaquetée dans des peaux élastiques. J'eus un cri d'horreur:
--Mais. . .mais. . .c'est un enfant!"

This is on a farm in the 1930's, and it does in fact turn out to be an unwanted and abandoned baby.

My question is, does "des peaux élastiques" here simply mean "animal hides". I've googled "des peaux élastiques" and found "stretchable skins" in the context of making drums. It also appears that in some computer games players can get/earn "des peaux élastiques", and I'm not sure what that is, perhaps some sort of shield.

But in my context is it simply ordinary animal hides (that will usually stretch a bit), or is there some sort of manufactured product that is called "une peau élastique"?

Many thanks for whatever help you can give.

• Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    Thanks for your reply. Perhaps in our own times we could be talking about other things as well, such as what I found on google.

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    Oh my God ! first I thought your sentence described a dead child burried in plastic bags ! :eek:
    Salut, chère Reliure! I'm a bit slow replying to your post. I am slow at times. I was just reviewing this thread and at last realized that you didn't realize that the baby was in fact dead. Looking at my original post, I see I didn't make that clear.

The mother of this baby was a 16-year-old girl who was raped by her father. When the baby was born, they got rid of it by wrapping it up in skins and dumping it in the slurry pit (la fosse de purin). Such was life on the farm in the 1930's, if one can believe Luc Dietrich's account in Le Bonheur des tristes. I myself do, given some of the other things he tells us.

< Previous | Next >