des relais gourmands

pariselle

USA
French
Bonjour et merci d'avance à tous-

Je cherche depuis des heures...la traduction de Relais gourmands ( the WR post about it was not completed) -
De ces 2 mots seulement -
Voici le contexte:

Proposant une multitude d’activités familiales, des spectacles enlevants, des expériences scientifiques, de nombreux manèges tous plus excitants les uns que les autres,
des relais gourmands...

Ce sont des activités du Québec lors d'un festival.I found Greedy relays - But that does not sound not vey attractive ..
Une aide serait formidable...
Merci!

• Language Hound

American English
    If this is one of the things you find at a Quebec festival (Ce sont des activités du Québec lors d'un festival),
    then I wouldn't use the word "stopovers."
    They sound like gourmet food stands or restaurants to me.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized now that these are things you can do in Quebec during the festival.
    I thought at first that they were things you could do (in one place) at the (self-contained) festival.
    So forget my suggestion of "gourmet food stands.":eek:

Last edited:

pariselle

USA
    French
    I am a bit confused - Language Hound - but ok - I will ot choose "gourmet food stands."

But Stopovers is right? Everybody seemed to come with that translation.
    The adjectif still offers some choices...
    Truly it is still not clear to me what these things are - (relais gourmands) - on some English speaking sites regarding this event ( Québec festival ) sometimes the French is even kept)
    I already sent my work in - But I could change - if needed -

pariselle

USA
    French
    Yes...Enquiring Mind - Stopover I think is good - no sense of competition - in contrast to sports relays
    Festival des Métiers d'art au Québec -
    the context is (pelase look above, in my first post):
    Proposant une multitude d’activités familiales, des spectacles enlevants, des expériences scientifiques, de nombreux manèges tous plus excitants les uns que les autres, des relais gourmands...

:) Merci

Language Hound

American English
    Where are our active Québécois members when you need them--at the relais gourmands?:D
    Maybe they can help when they return.

Language Hound

American English
    I'd go for "Gourmet food stands" as it applies for either a self contained festival such as a local fair or for a festival taking place within a city
    It would be fine for a self-contained festival (e.g., a carnival) but not for a city-wide festival since
    it is a limiting term and would exclude restaurants.

pariselle

USA
    French
    I like that - THAT is a very good idea-
    gourmet/fine food experiences/events
    fine food experiences = gastronomic events

Since I sent the work I only can change it once - ! Thank you everyone!
    OK got it !

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    It seems to me that the physical meaning of "relais" here isn't really important. It's not where or in what circumstances you actually get to eat the food, it's the fact that you will get to eat good food at the festival.

Well, it so happens in France. I saw it in Strasbourg, where local restaurants set up food stands on the Place Kleber on the occasion of some summer festival. And otherwise, if local restaurants set up food stands in their streets for a festival, how could this be called ?

Language Hound

American English
    ...if local restaurants set up food stands in their streets for a festival, how could this be called ?
    Those would be called food stands.
    My point was that many restaurants often participate in city-wide festivals.
    While some may indeed set up food stands, many just have customers come dine in the restaurant.

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    EDIT: Sorry, I just realized now that these are things you can do in Quebec during the festival.
    I thought at first that they were things you could do (in one place) at the (self-contained) festival.
    So forget my suggestion of "gourmet food stands.":eek:
    Hello Language Hound,

Actually... I think you might be right. Or just a fancy way of saying "food stands" of any kind. This part of the sentence:
    de nombreux manèges tous plus excitants les uns que les autres
    makes me think that it is indeed a self-contained festival.

Since there are all sorts of festivals in Quebec, I'd have to know exactly where in Quebec this so called « Festival des Métiers d'art au Québec » took place.
    It could be "city wide", if it's a small town/village.

However the meaning of « Relais gourmand » that I'm familiar with is a fancy restaurant or a place to stay (auberge, hôtel, etc.) which is renowned for its fine cuisine. Examples (the first is about a renowned restaurant in Montreal, the other is in the Eastern Townships) :
    - Le restaurant est membre de Relais Gourmands de la chaîne Relais & Châteaux depuis 2006
    - La cuisine de l'Auberge Hatley, un des deux seuls Relais Gourmands du Québec, dans la plus pure tradition d'excellence et de créativité des Relais Châteaux.
    And that, I think, could be rendered as "gastronomic stopover".

Last edited:

Nitroceline

français
    À mon humble avis, les gens du marketing de ce festival ont simplement dérobé le terme Relais Gourmands de l'association Relais et Châteaux sans même le savoir ce qui pourrait leur coûter cher... Je suis d'accord avec Nicomon pour l'emploi de - gastronomic stopover. Par contre, s'il s'agissait vraiment d'un membre de l'association qui jouit du titre de Relais Gourmand (ce qui ne semble pas le cas ici), il ne serait pas traduit.

< Previous | Next >