desacred

< Previous | Next >
  • Andygc

British English
    If you start off by looking in a dictionary you can check to see if the word exists - and that will probably answer your question ...

Andygc

British English
    the possibilities of some words aren't settled in dictionaries
    If you are learning English, you can take it that a word that has not yet made it to a dictionary is unlikely to be in normal use. If you look in a dictionary, you will also find the meaning of the prefix de-. That will tell you that desacred could not be an antonym of sacred.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello Richardandreherrera.

Please give us the sentence in which you are thinking of using this word. We require a complete sentence with every question. It helps us think of suitable possibilities. For instance, we do have the verb desecrate, which means "treat (a sacred place or thing) with violent disrespect". Something that is so treated can be described as 'desecrated.' If we had a sentence, we could see whether that fits your context.

Andygc

British English
    a bit of a demeaningly waste of time
    No, please don't think that. I have subsequently googled "desacred" and there are many hits, so it is worth having a thread about a word that others might want to ask about. There seems to be a computer game called Desacred and I have found a blogger whose user name is ~desacred. There is also somebody on Emya.com (?) whose user name is Desacred and who describes himself as "a transgendered FTM", whatever that may be.

So the word has an existence, even if it has an uncertain meaning - but it is not a synonym for profane.

Richardandreherrera

Portuguese - Brazil
    Thanks Andygc...the point is...I don`t know why, but I had the impression that I could use "desacred" as an Antonym for sacred... like desacred, profane, unconsecrated water. Certainly I did some research about the word, and I verified the unusual, unnecessary use of such a word. I found other synonyms for the intended meaning of "desacred". Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Hey Richard. I think your instincts are working in a good direction. If you tried using the prefix "un-" or "non-" instead of "de-", you would come up with words that are more understandable as antonyms to "sacred." "De-" is basically reserved for processes of undoing ("defrost," "decode"), and "sacred" doesn't name a process that can be reversed. "Un-" and "non-" are less limited in their use, so "unsacred" or "non-sacred" are understandable.

Desacred

English
    No, please don't think that. I have subsequently googled "desacred" and there are many hits, so it is worth having a thread about a word that others might want to ask about. There seems to be a computer game called Desacred and I have found a blogger whose user name is ~desacred. There is also somebody on Emya.com (?) whose user name is Desacred and who describes himself as "a transgendered FTM", whatever that may be.

So the word has an existence, even if it has an uncertain meaning - but it is not a synonym for profane.
    Awkward that I stumbled upon this thread on google after searching up my own username. And it's ''Ernya.com''. I didn't think ''Desacred'' was a real word anyway I just made it up like a year or two ago.

< Previous | Next >