desastre!

• Learning

Spanish
    Hola..
    MESS no podría ser una posible traducción? By the way.. what's the difference between mess and disaster?
    Gracias

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Learning said:
    Hola..
    MESS no podría ser una posible traducción? By the way.. what's the difference between mess and disaster?
    Gracias

1 a dirty or untidy state of things or of a place: she made a mess of the kitchen | my hair was a mess.

disaster
    noun a sudden event, such as an accident or a natural catastrophe, that causes great damage or loss of life: 159 people died in the disaster | [MASS NOUN] disaster struck within minutes of tak

I would say that you can use the word "disaster" in a figurative sense to add more emphasis to the word "mess"

Eg,
    "My hair is a mess today" (meaning untidy)
    "My hair is a disaster today" (meaning messy, untidy)

Just for the sake of emphasis and in a figurative sense. But they are not the same.

Saludos, Art :) ;) :p

Learning

Spanish
    Hello Artrella! In Spanish happens the same with DESASTRE. You can use it with both meanings. Mess could also be translated (in a slang way, very coloquial and a little rude but used a lot) as Mierda... "Estar hecho una Mier...." Ej. Mi pelo está hecho una mierd..
    Saludos and sorry for the expression :)

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    Learning said:
    Hola..
    Gracias
    Hola Learning,

No, "mess" no es una traducción correcta de "desastre" ya que las dos palabras no comunican el mismo estado de gravedad (por llamarlo así).

En esta connotación que tú deseas comunicar (porque hay otras para "mess"), mess = reguero/reguerete, revoltijo, lío... que no es igual de 'grave' que desastre = disaster.

Saludos,
    L.

< Previous | Next >