descendants of mixture of chinese and taiwanese aboriginal?

< Previous | Next >

zhm188

chinese
hi
I want to say something about ethnic background

Taiwanese are descendants of mixture of han Chinese and Taiwanese aboriginal origin.

is this sentence grammatically correct?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Yes, I agree they don't work together: they are essentially redundant here. Try rewriting your sentence using either "descendants of" or "a mixture of."

Ça y est!

English - U.S.
    I think if the idea is that modern-day Taiwanese are descendants of both these groups (combined), then all that's needed is the article "a" before "mixture."

If you were to omit "a mixture of," then it is conceivable that the sentence could mean that some Taiwanese are desendants of Han Chinese, while other Taiwanese are descendants of Taiwan's aboriginal population.

zhm188

chinese
    I think if the idea is that modern-day Taiwanese are descendants of both these groups (combined), then all that's needed is the article "a" before "mixture."

If you were to omit "a mixture of," then it is conceivable that the sentence could mean that some Taiwanese are desendants of Han Chinese, while other Taiwanese are descendants of Taiwan's aboriginal population.
    yes, I want to say they are mixed

Taiwanese are descendants of a mixture of han Chinese and Taiwanese aboriginal origin.
    is that correct?

Ça y est!

English - U.S.
    I'd capitalize Han. And I'd use something like "Taiwan's aboriginal population," or "Taiwan's aboriginal people," either of which parallels "Han Chinese" so that they are both referring to groups of people.

< Previous | Next >