Describe a face as "sculptural"?

jenli

mandarin - china
Hi, I was wondering if there's such usage of "sculptural" as in "He's a good-looking guy with a sculptural face/nose/mouth?" It was a common expression in my language but I'm not sure I've seen one in English. Thanks=)

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It certainly is not common in figurative use in English, but it is a word. It is mainly used literally: "The interior of the house was dominated by sculptural detail."

There is an example of 'sculptural" in the OED: " 2. Having the qualities of a piece of sculpture. 1880 ‘Ouida’ Moths II. 362 "She is faultlessly made, face and form... It is like sculpture... What I said—she is sculptural."

However, 99% of the time we would say, "He's a good-looking guy with a sculptured face/nose/mouth." as this Google Ngram for sculptured face,sculptural face shows CLICK HERE

jenli

mandarin - china
    It certainly is not common in figurative use in English, but it is a word. It is mainly used literally: "The interior of the house was dominated by sculptural detail."

There is an example of 'sculptural" in the OED: " 2. Having the qualities of a piece of sculpture. 1880 ‘Ouida’ Moths II. 362 "She is faultlessly made, face and form... It is like sculpture... What I said—she is sculptural."

However, 99% of the time we would say, "He's a good-looking guy with a sculptured face/nose/mouth." as this Google Ngram for sculptured face,sculptural face shows CLICK HERE
    Thank you so much! Google Ngram looks like a great tool!

< Previous | Next >