describe people's voices

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

Can I use the above three adjectives to describe people's voices?

I mean, are the following expressions idiomatic in AE?

The young woman has a beautiful and charming voice.
The young man has a magnetic and charming voice.

Thanks a lot

• Silver

I mean both sentences because one is for women and one is for man. What I am asking is the way (words) to describe people's voices.

Susan Y

British English
    Are you asking whether we use different adjectives for men's and women's voices? Or are you asking whether any of the three adjectives, beautiful, charming and magnetic, can be used to describe a voice?

Silver

I don't think "beautiful" could be used to describe man's voice.

To answer your question, Susan, I actually mean both. I wonder if these two expressions are idiomatic in AE to describe man and woman's voice.

Since I am asking about voice, I post one thread. If I need to post another one, okay, I'll go and try again.

Susan Y

British English
    OK, thanks for clarifying. No, you can certainly use "beautiful" to describe a man's voice - if you google "he has a beautiful voice", you'll find plenty of examples (AE and BE).

I personally would be unlikely to use either "charming" or "magnetic" to describe a voice - both those words sound rather old-fashioned and/or affected to me in that context.

Anyway, I know you're more interested in AE than BE, so I'll leave it to our transatlantic friends to add their thoughts.

Silver

OK, thanks for clarifying. No, you can certainly use "beautiful" to describe a man's voice - if you google "he has a beautiful voice", you'll find plenty of examples (AE and BE).

I personally would be unlikely to use either "charming" or "magnetic" to describe a voice - both those words sound rather old-fashioned and/or affected to me in that context.

Anyway, I know you're more interested in AE than BE, so I'll leave it to our transatlantic friends to add their thoughts.
    Thanks a lot, Susan. I've learning AE for more than 5 years and I have to continue. Well, I think "magnetic" is a good word, but if there is an American friend comes to help, can you show me two expressions so that I can put them down?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I wouldn't see anything wrong with "charming" used to describe a woman's voice; so could "melodic".
    I agree with Susan that "beautiful" could be used for either a man's or woman's voice—and that "magnetic" just isn't a word we'd use to describe a voice.

< Previous | Next >