Describing a sequence of actions: Present Simple or Present Continuous?

< Previous | Next >

Elveee

Russian
Hello,

My son and me often play cars/trains etc. What is more common to use if we describe a sequence of actions: Present Simple or Present Continuous?

Example: The train arrives at the station. The doors go open. Some passengers get off. New passengers get on the train. The doors close. The train departs. It whooshes down the track, passes a farm, turns left and slows down. There is a tunnel. The train goes through the tunnel...

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Elveee. Your example seems to be something that you might say as you look at a toy train and talk about the things that are happening in the imaginary world where that train is not a toy, but rather a real train with real passengers, etc. In that situation, I would probably use the present continuous to describe what was going on in my imagination as I talked about the train. However, the present simple makes sense in your example.

Both the present simple and the present continuous are possible and normal in a description of a sequence of actions.

Elveee

Russian
    Hello, Elveee. Your example seems to be something that you might say as you look at a toy train and talk about the things that are happening in the imaginary world where that train is not a toy, but rather a real train with real passengers, etc. In that situation, I would probably use the present continuous to describe what was going on in my imagination as I talked about the train. However, the present simple makes sense in your example.

Both the present simple and the present continuous are possible and normal in a description of a sequence of actions.
    Thank you!

< Previous | Next >