Description: Soccer vs Football

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bouquinistesofunderworld, Oct 5, 2016.

1. bouquinistesofunderworld

bouquinistesofunderworld Senior Member

Turkish
    In a state-sponsored text-book written by non-native speakers, I came across a sports description.
    The description is as follows:
    "The ball is in the centre of the field. The player is ready for the kick-off. Ten forwards are standing in a line. Here is the ball. It is flying! It is going in the direction of the goal. A back stopped it with his head and sent it over the forwards’ heads to one of the quarter-backs. He kept it between his feet and now he is pushing the ball towards the goal… "

Above the text , you need to match the pictures with the text. With terms like "quartern-back" this text sounds like it's describing American football but the pictures show a picture of soccer match. Do you think the authors made a mistake in the editing process?

Thanks to everyone who took their time to read my post.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2016
  2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Definitely. Football (BE) does not have "Ten forwards", nor does it have "quarter-backs."

However in football (AE) I cannot believe that "A back stopped it (the ball) with his head"

The whole description sounds like it was written by someone who has never seen a game of football (BE & AE) and had both games described to him over a bad telephone line at a rock concert - then got drunk and wrote the piece the following day.

Please send the book back to the author with a copy of this thread.

3. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    From a US point of view: American football does not have ten forwards (or any forwards at all), the ball is not played with the head, and "pushing" the ball toward the goal with the feet is illegal.

I agree with Paul's summary.

4. Copperknickers Senior Member

Scotland - Scots and English
    I agree with this. The game being played seems to me like soccer, but the names of the player positions are from a mixture of American football and rugby. Unless it's some weird colonial version of football, such as Canadian or Australian football.

5. bouquinistesofunderworld

Turkish
    Thank you so much for the answers.None of my friends could make heads or tails out of it. Now at least we can be sure! Unfortunately, this is state-sponsored compulsory text-book here in my country and we are not allowed the liberty not to use it!

6. Copperknickers Senior Member

Scotland - Scots and English
    See my edited post.

7. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Write to the President! If you fail to do this Turkish football will change for ever!
    Australian football has six forwards - Canadian football is very similar to American Football.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  8. bouquinistesofunderworld

Turkish
    Every year a bunch of dedicated teachers find a smorgasbord of mistakes in these state-sponsored text-books and nothing changes.
    As for the Turkish soccer, well it might already have changed. When Iceland started their bid to reach Euro 2016 in superb fashion with a 3-0 win over a 10-man Turkey in Reykjavik in2014 everybody was flabbergasted. One of our ex footballer commentators had said before the game "I doubt Iceland would be able to push the ball to our midfield." If you want to have something nice, you have to select people on merit. When you don't, you will end up with shi*** textbooks and unworthy educators.
    Thank you for your answer again.

9. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    In addition to the other errors noted above, it makes no sense to speak of "one of the quarter-backs", because the position of quarterback does not exist in soccer at all, and there is only one quarterback for each team in American and Canadian football, making a plural impossible. By the way, how many people are on each side in this mysterious and unnamed sport? If "a back" stops the ball with his head, and then sends it over the ten forwards to one of the quarterbacks (of whom there must be at least two for that plural usage), we have at least 13 players -- and if there is a goaltender of some kind, and another back (which is suggested by that use of "a" instead of "the" modifying "back"), we are up to a minimum of 15 team members playing simultaneously.

10. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    What's the title of the book and who is brave or foolish enough to say that they are the editor/author?

It could became a cult classic as per the famous "English As She is Spoke." (See: How a Portuguese-to-English Phrasebook Became a Cult Comedy Sensation)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  11. bouquinistesofunderworld

Turkish
    The book is titled "English Route". It's an English text-book for seventh graders in Turkey.
    Years ago teachers were able to choose their own text-books among a variety of textbooks but the present ministry delivers the text-books freely and you don't have a right to choose a more proper text-book.
    Many of these so-called free text-books are full of unbearable errors. In the same text book, in a listening section it says "Justin has got short, light brown straight hair and blue eyes. "
    I started similar threads before.
    Take this (from 8th grade text-book)
    The usage of the verb "order"in these sentences...

12. bouquinistesofunderworld

Turkish
    Thank you for clarifying that. I appreciate your answer.

13. ewie

ewie Senior Member

Elsewhere
    English English
    :D:D:D:D