descriptive word

< Previous | Next >

NickJunior

Khmer
Greetings,

I have a question concerning the descriptive word key in the quote below. Does it also describe the words paragraphs and sentences? If it does, how come the author did not write it as...you will find many key words, key paragraphs, and key sentences in each chapter? Thanks in advance.

Since a textbook usually contains a great amount of information, you will find many key words, paragraphs, and sentences in each chapter.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Greetings,

I have a question concerning the descriptive word key in the quote below. Does it also describe the words paragraphs and sentences? If it does, how come the author did not write it as...you will find many key words, key paragraphs, and key sentences in each chapter? Thanks in advance.
    Yes, it does. A key sentence is a sentence of particular importance, which will give crucial insights into the whole. The writer is saying that there are indeed key word, key paragraphs and key sentences. To repeat the adjective would be very clumsy, as your italicised sentence shows.

An adjective often carries over in this way if you construct the sentence appropriately:

I saw many beautiful rivers, mountains and lakes - the mountains and lakes were beautiful too.

I was given many interesting artefacts and pieces of information - the pieces of information were interesting too.

NickJunior

Khmer
    Yes, it does. A key sentence is a sentence of particular importance, which will give crucial insights into the whole. The writer is saying that there are indeed key word, key paragraphs and key sentences. To repeat the adjective would be very clumsy, as your italicised sentence shows.

An adjective often carries over in this way if you construct the sentence appropriately:

I saw many beautiful rivers, mountains and lakes - the mountains and lakes were beautiful too.

I was given many interesting artefacts and pieces of information - the pieces of information were interesting too.
    Hi TT,

Thank you so much for the explanation. I learned so much.

< Previous | Next >