desertion for embassador [ambassador]

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
An embassador is blamed for deserting her duty in Tokyo and flying back to Hong Kong for fear of potential radiation crises.

I'd like to know if "deserting duty" can be used for other posts besides soldiers. It seems that desertion is mostly used for escaping soldiers.

• Copyright

American English
    I have a feeling you're paraphrasing the article. First, I imagine it's ambassador. Second, I think we desert posts or positions, not duties. Do you have a source for the original?

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    I have a feeling you're paraphrasing the article. First, I imagine it's ambassador. Second, I think we desert posts or positions, not duties. Do you have a source for the original?
    I believe the story hasn't been covered by local English newspapers yet, at least by their online versions. It is about a Hong Kong ambassador who fled Japan for Hong Kong without permission two days after the earthquake and has been refusing to return to her post.

Copyright

American English
    To answer your question, I think you can desert posts other than military posts ... but I personally wouldn't desert duties.

sdgraham

USA English
    I prefer "in dereliction of her duties" if you want to stick with "duties."

As an added note:

"... fear of potential radiation crises." seems rather odd. Does it mean she's in fear of being irradiated or doesn't want to deal with the political aspect of a crisis? (one crisis should be enough, rather than the plural)

If she's just in fear of radiation, strike "crises."

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    I prefer "in dereliction of her duties" if you want to stick with "duties."

As an added note:

"... fear of potential radiation crises." seems rather odd. Does it mean she's in fear of being irradiated or doesn't want to deal with the political aspect of a crisis? (one crisis should be enough, rather than the plural)

If she's just in fear of radiation, strike "crises."
    Thanks Copyright and sdgraham. Crises should be left off then, because She's just in fear of radiation.

< Previous | Next >