Desiderius Erasmus (pronunciation)

EternoBGV

Thai
Hello,

Could anyone please provide the IPA transcription of this name? I've tried a text-to-speech website (Oddcast.com) to listen its pronunciation, but I'm not sure if actually/normally it should be pronounced as in Latin or as a native Dutch name.

Thank you in advance

• YellowOnline

Dutch - Belgium
    As far as I know, his real name is not known for sure, only the Latinized. Then Latin pronunciation is the only correct one as far as I am concerned. Some people tend to read Latin using their own phonemes (whatever language), but that doesn't really make much sense, just like the IPA given by Wikipedia:/ˌdɛzɪˈdɪəriəs ɪˈræzməs/. A Latin 'u' is pronounced /ʊ/, not /ə/, and 'a' is pronounced... /a/. So correct Latin pronunciation would rather be something like /dɛzɪde:riʊs ɛrazmʊs/.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Well, if you take the oddcast site, then you choose Dutch and Ellen (Belgium) as speaker, then you may get a very good idea how I would pronounce it (well, with a male voice, of course:)).

If you take Laura (Netherlands) as speaker, you may have a good idea for the Latin pronunciation.

bibibiben

Dutch - Netherlands
    Hello,

Could anyone please provide the IPA transcription of this name? I've tried a text-to-speech website (Oddcast.com) to listen its pronunciation, but I'm not sure if actually/normally it should be pronounced as in Latin or as a native Dutch name.

Thank you in advance
    YellowOnline's transcription didn't exactly hit the mark.

There are at least two common ways of pronouncing Desiderius Erasmus in the Netherlands:

[deɪzide:ʀiəs e:ʀɑsməs] or [deɪzide:ʀiʏs e:ʀɑsmʏs]

Those who are used to a rolled r will prefer:

[deɪzide:riʏs e:rɑsmʏs] or [deɪzide:riəs e:rɑsməs]

Quite a few will turn s before m into [z]:

[deɪzide:riʏs e:rɑzmʏs] or [deɪzide:riəs e:rɑzməs] or [deɪzide:ʀiʏs e:ʀɑzmʏs] or [deɪzide:ʀiəs e:ʀɑzməs]

The most likely pronunciation in Belgium would probably be:

[de:zide:riʏs e:rɑsmʏs]

There will no doubt be quite some variation there as well, though.

< Previous | Next >