Design vs. scheme

Inaara

Russian
Hello! I have a question about the difference between design and scheme. I have a particular example from English exam in Russia:

Will you be the chief engineer designing / scheming a bridge across the Atlantic Ocean?

I know that it should be "designing" but I cannot explain why.

Thank you!

• Inaara

Russian
    Yes, I know. But the translation of these words is somewhat alike. I need to know how to explain why designing but not scheming.

Does the word "design" refer to overall design and "scheme" - to smaller details of the bridge?

lingobingo

English - England
    The verb "to scheme" usually means to plot, especially against someone, behind their back.

When you design something, that can mean anything from just making a preliminary drawing to planning a whole project down to the smallest detail. It covers a multitude of sins, as we say.

Inaara

Russian
    Thank you all for your answers. I told my student about "plot against other people" but I thought that there might be some other details re these two words.

lingobingo

English - England
    Thank you all for your answers. I told my student about "plot against other people" but I thought that there might be some other details re these two words.
    The words design and scheme are more similar to each other as nouns than they are as verbs.

< Previous | Next >