designate/declare

Discussion in 'English Only' started by GandalfMB, Oct 21, 2014.

1. GandalfMB

GandalfMB Senior Member

Yellow Beach, Bulgaria
    Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    Hello,
    Can we use declare instead of "designate" in the following sentence "The area has been designated (as) a National Park"? I think that both can be used but with difference in meaning. Declare, meaning that someone declared it "a president, prime minister, mayor, war chief, dictator, etc." That's probably not true.

2. Wordnip Senior Member

Western Australia
    British English
    Indeed, a declaration in not the same as a designation. An area may be designated without a declaration. Of course a declaration may be made about the designation.

3. GandalfMB

GandalfMB Senior Member

Yellow Beach, Bulgaria
    Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    I am just guessing. When the area was designated a National Park, maybe they just put up signs. Nobody declared it officially for it was not that important. I just want to know if I am on the right track, that's all :).

Thank you

4. Susan Y Senior Member

Australia
    British English
    I think the correct word will depend on which country you are talking about, and whether you are talking about the present or the past. Here in Australia, for example, national parks are created by (state) Act of Parliament, although the first national park, near Sydney, was created by Proclamation. There may well be countries where parks are created by designation, declaration or decree.